buying the castine...last minute advice?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dvellone

Feeling the Heat
Sep 21, 2006
After a lot of deliberation and plenty posts here I'm heading out today to pick up a castine. My 820 sq. ft. home is on piers, without sheathing, and although well insulated is leaky and cold in the deep freeze of winter. The nordic just doesn't do it, the 3cb is marginally bigger, and soapstone is out of my price range.
Any last minute advice on my way to the dealer? (other than trussing up my guts)

I would think the castine will meet your needs. I heat over twice the square footage your going to with one. However,I don't have a draft problem and are winters may be a bit milder here.
The castine is a very well built stove that with normal upkeep should last darn near a lifetime. So don't worry. I think you'll be cozy and warm for many chilly nights to come.
Good luck, and let's hear how it works out.
Joe

Go for it dvellone. It should work fine. The stove has a pretty wide heating range. You're lucky to find one at a dealer.

If possible, top vent. If not, be sure to keep any horiz run short and pitched generously uphill. Keep 90s on the flue to a minimum and it should run great.

Status
Not open for further replies.