By design will a down draft type stove get a dirtier glass than a stove with the top tubes??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stanleyjohn

Minister of Fire
Mar 29, 2008
southcentral Ct
I may be wrong here but it seems to me that my downdraft type harman stove would on average get a dirtier glass than a stove with tubes on top.The reason i think this is because alot of the heat inside a stove like mine is drawn back into the secondary burn chamber causing the inside front area of the stove not to get as hot as a tube type where the secondary is happening closer to the front of the stove.Many here have said to get a good hot fire going to keep the glass clean which i think is harder to do because the back afterburn chamber is sucking a good amount of heat,while a stove with the secondary happening near the tubes is going to keep more heat up front keeping the glass cleaner.Does this make any scents??

You may be on to something there, sounds quite possible! Other stoves utilize the combustion feed streaming down the glass, however its not channeled throught an insulated "MAZE" in the rear. Maybe those long and longer burn rates some are claiming, and those secondary burns occuring elsewhere, leaves more ash to be disturbed by the wash. If you are getting those great burn times,,,I`d take the trade off happily!

I would think the opposite would be true. Your down draft sucks the smoke the away from the glass so it should stay cleaner.

The everburn stoves operate on the principle that the main firebox is essentially a smoke chamber, and the combustor in the rear is producing heat from the smoke. This gives you the ability to slow the combustion of the wood and maintain a clean exhaust. This will give you more versatility when it comes to operating the stove. If you want a slow, long fire, then run the stove on low. There's won't be any flame in the main firebox, only glowing embers, and the combustion is happening in the back. This will lead to creosote forming on the glass and inside the main firebox. If you want more heat, but can tolerate a shorter burn, then give it more air. You'll have some flames in the main firebox, and the glass will stay clean.

So yes, it is by design that a downdraft stove is going to have dirty glass when operating on low.

Thanks alot Control!Looks like i was correct!I guess i got to get used to cleaning the glass more than i like unless i give more air and have shorter burns.Just curious!anyone else with downdraft type stoves getting a dirty glass?Todd!! The smoke does get sucked back but still enough left behind plus lower heat to get glass extra dirty.

Status
Not open for further replies.