By Pass gasket replacement onBlaze King King (KE1107)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Fox

Jan 12, 2006
So I have cleaned out my chimney, stove, and the eight year old cat combuster (using the heated vinegar and water soak) . I decided to change the by pass door gasket and bought some Rutland 5/8 inch. I cemented the gasket in place, adjusted the locking mechanism and reinstalled the cleaned cat with a new wrap. I reinstalled the connector pipe and sat down with a sense of accomplisment. Now, a few hours later I realized I did not do the dollar bill test on the new by pass gasket. Took the connector pipe back off and did the dollar bill test...IT FAILED! So my questions...
1. How important is it for the bypass door gasket to pass the dollar bill test?
2. Will the metal parts of the by pass door heat up and expand enough during my fire to give a tight enough seal on this gasket?
3. Before I logged on I did a web search and saw one place that said I need to use high density gasket, which the Rutland isn't. Should I remove the Rutland and order some high density?
4. If I need to remove the current gasket would I be better off taking it out now befoe it hardens any further?
Thanks

Yikes, I would use the proper gasket for sure. The dollar bill test is more important for the loading door than for the bypass since the only problem caused by a leaking bypass is extra smoke and more wood consumption.

Reactions: Bster13
Rutland 5/8" is nowhere close to the right stuff. If you can't find high density rope, use 7/8 or 1" rope, stretch it out a bit, and cram it in there.

I think if you leave the Rutland rope in there, before long you'll start to hear metal clanging when you close it.

We use a brand called MidMountain. All the gaskets are very dense. Swampfox glad to hear you got it all back together and running.

Hey guys, many thanks for the replies and most helpful info. I got up this morning and read your replies and immediately removed that Rutland gasket. I'm thankful the cement hadn't set up too hard, and I was able to get that channel clean again without much effort. Now I just need to find a source for the high density gasket. I'll have to go on the web as I know there is no source around here. Going through the dealer who sold me the stove would be of no use. When I bought the stove, the nearest dealer was in WV (I live outside Charlotte, NC) and I went and picked it up myself. After I bought the stove eight years ago and would have some questions or a need to order some parts, he would never return my calls...never has! Thankfully, Blaze King now has a number of dealers that are closer to me. Also, thankfully, through the years, Chris, at Blaze King, has been extremely helpful in answering my questions when I call them for assistance.

Reactions: jeff_t and Highbeam
Status
Not open for further replies.