Bypass Damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

havermeyer

Sep 17, 2010
Central MA
Hello All,

Just had a Lopi Declaration insert installed and on my second burn! So far so good but just had a question about the bypass damper. From reading the manual, it seems like the bypass damper is usually fully open or fully closed. You have it open when you first start the fire or if you are throwing in some more logs but typically the bypass damper is fully closed. However, when the stove was installed, the tech seem to suggest there is a sweet spot for the bypass damper and that it shouldn't be all the way in either direction. For folks with the same stove or have stoves with a bypass damper, what has been your experience?

Thanks,
Andre

The bypass damper does just that - bypasses the baffle in the top of the stove. The baffle is there to help induce secondary combustion. I open it when I light or rekindle a fire or when I sweep the flue. Otherwise, it remains closed through the burn cycle once the fire is established. I would not run it "half" open, as this would let valuable heat go straight up the flue.

Hello Andre;

We have the Lopi Liberty and the only times we have the by-pass open is on start ups and reloads.

zap

havermeyer said:
Hello All,

Just had a Lopi Declaration insert installed and on my second burn! So far so good but just had a question about the bypass damper. From reading the manual, it seems like the bypass damper is usually fully open or fully closed. You have it open when you first start the fire or if you are throwing in some more logs but typically the bypass damper is fully closed. However, when the stove was installed, the tech seem to suggest there is a sweet spot for the bypass damper and that it shouldn't be all the way in either direction. For folks with the same stove or have stoves with a bypass damper, what has been your experience?

Thanks,
Andre

Page 19 on your manual explains the by-pass.

zap

Thanks guys... kinda what I was thinking but didn't know if the installer had some secret knowledge. Apparently not.

As for using the air control... it's been a bit of trial and error so far but I feel like I'm 10 steps ahead of those going into this... cold. :)

The forum has been invaluable!!!

-Andre

Status
Not open for further replies.