Bypass linkage disconnects on Harman Exception

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ControlFreak

Feeling the Heat
Jan 15, 2008
Holden, MA
Hello,
I'm over at a friends place looking at his Harman Exception stove.

He has had the linkage to the bypass damper disengage a few times, so he called me to take a look at it. What's happening is that the internal rod that manipulates the bypass damper slips out of a slot in a bracket connected to the back of the damper. There's a bit of side-to-side play in the damper itself, and if the damper is slid all the way to the right (away from the rod), then the rod slips out of the channel that it should slide in, and the linkage is disengaged until you get in there and slide the bypass back over to the left and back into engagement with the rod.

I would expect that there is some kind of mechanism that should keep the damper from shifting out of position, but don't see anything like that.

Anybody have any experience with this thing??

Thanks,
Dan

Pics would have helped to solve.... tough to visulize this.....

ControlFreak said:
Hello,
I'm over at a friends place looking at his Harman Exception stove.

He has had the linkage to the bypass damper disengage a few times, so he called me to take a look at it. What's happening is that the internal rod that manipulates the bypass damper slips out of a slot in a bracket connected to the back of the damper. There's a bit of side-to-side play in the damper itself, and if the damper is slid all the way to the right (away from the rod), then the rod slips out of the channel that it should slide in, and the linkage is disengaged until you get in there and slide the bypass back over to the left and back into engagement with the rod.

I would expect that there is some kind of mechanism that should keep the damper from shifting out of position, but don't see anything like that.

Anybody have any experience with this thing??

Thanks,
Dan

Yeah, gonna need some pics. Sound close to how the Encore works. There is some play and movement, but once the rod is in place, it is hard to get it to slip unless you really get creative. Not sure about how the harman is put together.

Status
Not open for further replies.