Bypass Retainer on Blaze King Princess

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badger

Burning Hunk
Oct 2, 2012
Central Minnesota
Hey Guys,

Although I've been reading the forums for a while this year, this is my first post of the season.

I have a question. I hired a chimney sweep to go through my flue and stove pipe and I must say I'm impressed with how clean he got everything. He pointed out a couple errors that my installer made (why do I continue to hire stuff out!) and said he cleaned everything up good.

I've had a couple burns, and since it was to warm to burn today I figured I'd open up the stove and give her a good once over. As I was looking at the cat, I notice the gasket was missing all around it. I took the cat out and searched all over for the gasket and I can't find it anywhere. I have no clue what happened to it.

Luckily, I have a spare on hand so I'll throw that it, but here is my question. I did notice that when I installed the last cat gasket that there were large gaps on the sides... at the time I didn't think much of it. This time I noticed that the manual has two brackets called out on each side of my cat called "Bypass retainer" (see item number 2 on the attached picture). I do not have these brackets in my stove. Are they needed? What is their purpose? I'm thinking I will just cement the gap or put in two layers of gasket.

Thoughts?
Capture.JPG

Badger,

We added the retainers years ago. There are a few folks that play rough with their by pass handles and in the past that might cause the by pass plate to become unhinged.

These retainers were added to keep that from happening.

If you PM me your address, I'll have a pair sent to you at no charge.

Thanks
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.