Bypass Switch for Fan/Blower on insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ronchable2

Oct 29, 2019
Michigan
So I'm looking to install a bypass switch for my fan/blower on my Wood Burning insert... that way the fan will stay on when I need it on (currently short cycles & unable to fix that) and when I want to go to sleep - I can switch it and it will turn off when it's cold; My question is about the switch itself.

I'm thinking about a simple on/off toggle switch but I don't see a temp. rating on any of them - and they're quite cheap. Since I'm locating the switch near the existing fan switch (bottom right corner of my insert) which is further away from the heat source than even the wires I'm connecting - do I have to worry about temp?

Any advice is appreciated - and yes I've changed out the snap-disc, adjusted the mount so it's touching with no gap, even added a bunch of insulation around it to keep the air off, still short cycles.

Thanks for the help
Ryan

I could draw you a schematic, but you wouldn't understand it, call an electrician

It's this simple... the snap disc just acts like a switch for the hot lead.. so you just add a second switch (toggle) that can completely bypass that when on and when off you still get the snap disc circuit.

Again I'm wondering if I need to worry about the switch overheating
15726422653622007490807295484795.jpg

I removed my thermodisc completely after the first year and replaced it with a rheostat.
I found the fan would sometimes take a real long time to come on and/or off with the thermodisc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stopped using the auto switch years ago.

I put in the toggle switch this last weekend. Works exactly how I want it to, manually keep the fan running during the day when I can keep the fire hot and then switch it to auto overnight so the fan turns off when the firebox cools down. So far so good! Other than the wiring being a pain in the butt to access, the job was very simple.