Bypass tubes in Lopi Revere

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lopisided

Feb 11, 2014
coastal Maine
Hi,

I'm a noob (to this forum, not wood heat) with a question about the bypass tubes in my Lopi Revere insert. My stove is about 14 years old and has seen quite a bit of use (wood is my backup heat, but I still use the stove quite a bit). The tubes have sagged due to heat over the years and I have replaced a couple of them. The problem is with the new "pins" that hold the tubes onto the collar on the roof of the stove. The darn things just do not fit. I have tried hammering and squeezing and cussing and nothing works - I just cannot get the pins (rolled steel collars) to fit into the holes that hold the tubes in place. I have had to resort to cotter pins and screws and other metal objects, but they don't seem to stay in place. And, I have emailed Travis Industries but their response was to keep trying (thanks a lot!).

Does anyone else have this problem? Any solutions or hints? Or, have you tried anything else that works?

Thanks,
Ted

Stainless cotter pins seem to be the most permanent solution.

I have the same problem, I buy them a little longer, then take one end to the bench grinder and grind them to a small end. Them line them up and a couple hits with the hammer and you should be set.

Thanks for the replies, all.

Glad to know I'm not the only one with this problem. I'm not a machinist, but I do know my way around tools and have found no way to get these pins into the holes in the tubes and collars. What really worries me is that even if I were to be able to get these pins (which are really small slotted tubes) into the holes in the bypass tubes/collars, the heat would make them expand and I would never be able to get them out again if I needed to.

I'm a little surprised that Travis Industries can't come up with a better solution for an otherwise great wood stove. That, and the blower fan that makes a racket (but that's an issue for another thread).

I guess I will keep trying different things until I hit on something that reliably works. But at least I can look on the bright side - I got a gift certificate to Home Depot for Christmas. I can always go there and buy every size screw and cotter pin they sell and try them all until one fits. Yeehaaaa!

Status
Not open for further replies.