C/A Return above stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kyburnr

Sep 6, 2008
Kentucky
Wanting to know if anyone has installed a cold air return above their stove and had success using it with the hvac fan? I can put one in easily but the return line and most of my duct work (all but 1 and part of 2 others) runs through the crawl space or the attic. I would probably still have to leave some of my other CAR's open or partially open as well, I think the car line that I can hook up to is a 6" or 8" insulated flex duct.
Looking for my odds of making a difference before installing one in the ceiling. Don't really want to have a vent up there that isn't going to help.

I do have a cold air return in the same room as the stove but it is across the
room in the wall. When the code enforcer in my town inspected my stove
he measured how far away the return was from the stove.

He commented that it is against code if the return is within 10 feet from the stove.
May be different in your area, but thought I would mention it.

edit: I only use the furnace fan now and then to shuffle the air if it gets
too stuffy in the room the stove is in. Ceiling fans work better for me.

Thanks,

Which way do you run your ceiling fan ...Clockwise or counter clockwise? I have 1 fan to each side of the stove. The stove sets in between two rooms that are open. Do you run the fans in the other rooms and if so, do you run them in the same direction as the ones in the room with the stove?

My stove is in my basement so my setup may be a little different
than most. I have an open stairwell on the first floor so I have a
small box fan at the bottom of the basement stairs pointing towards
the stove. The ceiling fans on the first floor run in reverse in the winter
so they bring up the heat up the stairs even faster.

If/When the room where the stove is gets too stuffy, then I turn on the
furnace fan for a little bit to shuffle up the air a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.