C.B. 5036 or new E- Classic 2300?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For all of your contemplating garage installation, National Fire Code states:

"solid fuel-burning appliances shall not be installed in any residential garage or in any location were gasoline or any other flammable vapors or gases are likely to be present."

I have a CB 5036 on order, wasn't able to put in a gasifier in the garage because State Farm said they wouldn't insure the house.

On the E-Classic, has anyone challenged the "efficiency approaching 100%" claim they make on this thing? I looked at the brochure and it explains the 3-stage burn process and, among other things, how it can heat your swimming pool. Anyone got the backup data on this?

I'm struggling to make the jump too. I like the IDEA of a gasifier but there are many pro's and con's.
Gasifier pro's;
More Efficient
Less emisions
Less wood

Con's;
Cost more (big concern as payback is long even for OWB)
Extra cost in construction of shed
Extra cost of storage (unless Garn or E-2300 used, but then they are more $ too)
More complicated design and controls (d/t non-integrated storage)
More tempermental in operation (i.e. drier wood, tailored wood loading during mild weather)
-Note, my wife WILL not want to learn (did not say can't learn)

I guess FOR ME it is like upgrading your car from an SUV. You can go with a Hybrid Prius or a Corolla; both are better than the former (from a fuel consumption basis), but can you afford (or do you need to afford) the hybrid?? IMO the wise thing to do is what you can best afford on your budget as well as work loads etc. You may find that oil is the best for you (for now at least). Good luck in your decision. I hope someday to join the wood boiler group but for now NG is most efficient in my setting, but I do see the writing on the wall.

Where is Martinsburg Pa.? My dealer is expecting one around the first of Oct., is in Capon Bridge W.V, 25 mi. west of I-81...Jake and Audrey's Farm and Garden, 304-856-1115

Here are some pictures of my Tarm outside installation. I'm going into my 3rd. season with this arrangement, and am still very happy with my decision to "keep everything outside", and with my choice of a Tarm gasifier.

Attachments

• 000_0105.JPG
    000_0105.JPG
    9.6 KB · Views: 399
  • 000_0107.JPG
    000_0107.JPG
    9.2 KB · Views: 404
55razor, if you could answer a few questions, I would like to know how much wood you burn in a season, and how many sq. ft. you are heating. Also how well does the Tarn work without heat storage. Thanks.

I'm heating a 1400 sq. ft. ranch, with a full, heated basement, and average to above-average insulation for a 20 year old house. Last year I used approximately 3.5 cords, (13-14 face cords) of mostly Oak, though it could have used more seasoning. I'm hoping to cut down on that amount by managing my wood supply better. I run the boiler output through a water-to-air exchanger in the bonnet of my regular furnace. So far, this all works well, keeping the house at 70 deg. (our choice). It is a little harder to control the system without storage, especially in the first and latter parts of the heating season when you need to think about and work towards matching the boiler output to the minimal heat loads required during those times. This is where/when storage would be most beneficial, but I certainly wouldn't be afraid to start without it.

I average about 3 times a day. Once at 6:00 am; then my wife checks/ loads at about 2:00 pm, and then I load it for the night at about 10:00 pm.

FWIW - I have been running my E-Classic for two months now and have been pretty happy with it. It burns much cleaner than the old CB I had. Sure it still smokes some of the time, but the smoke is thinner and seems to dissipate more readily. When the unit is idling there is generally nothing visible from the stack. So far due to minimal heat demand I have been filling the unit half full on Wednesday and Saturday nights and that has been fine for DHW and the few times the heat has kicked on with some of the cold nights in recent weeks.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.