C&C Smith Pellets from Summerhill, PA What can you tell me about them?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doublewide

Jun 14, 2010
Eastern PA
I searched the forum and found C&C smith from Middletown, NY but I don't know if they are the same company as C&C Smith in Summerhill, PA.

They are $229 a ton in Allentown, PA

The believe the bag says "The Wood Pellet Co"
and it says it is made in Summerhill, PA

What do you know about these pellets?

Here is what he their website says:

Wood Pellets
At the mill, we peel the logs and then sell the bark to mushroom farmers and landscape companies. All sawdust and end cuts are ground and made into wood pellets.

Our Wood Pellet operation started in 1992. We want to minimize waste by using our sawdust. Manufacturing Wood Pellets has become an asset to our company. It started out just being our waste sawdust. And has grown into a profitable operation, making some of the best pellets on the market. We use only fresh hardwood sawdust. There is no poplar or basswood in our product
to lower the BTU's and raise the ash content. We continually monitor our ash content and BTU's
to ensure our quality.

We are in the process of increasing our capacity to try to satisfy as many customers as possible.

At C&C Smith, we strive to be a no-waste facility from start to finish.

They are the same pellets.

The are made in Pa., but are sold at a local stove shop near me in NY.....Chimney Sweep Energy. They were going for $255/ton there back on 7/3/10. As for the pellets themselves, they are middle of the road according to our resident pellet tester, Jay Takeman....not great, not terrible.

Yes American Pool. Is there any other pellets that are better in our area? How do the Penn Pellets in Wind Gap compare to these?

doublewide said:
Yes American Pool. Is there any other pellets that are better in our area? How do the Penn Pellets in Wind Gap compare to these?

If it's the "Pennwood" pellets then yes, they burned good for me two years ago into last year (had some leftover)....fairly clean and hot.....I think if Cozy Barn is carrying Turmans, I would pick-up some of those, heard good things about them. I also burned the "Nazareth" Treecycle pellets this past season but they weren't so good. Supposedly, they have it straightened out now....time will tell....Burned a few bags of the "Winter Warmth" from Home Depot just to try and they burned great.....If I could get those, I would as long as they were still manufactured by the Hamer company.......I tried some Firemaker (I think that was the name) brand from R&S Flooring and they burned great but didn't carry them last year....they are advertising pellets for $220 but I don't know what brand. I guess like we say though...try before you buy!

Status
Not open for further replies.