C L find and wood I D

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cptoneleg

Minister of Fire
Jul 17, 2010
Virginia
Found this today, furnish splitter cut on halves :zip:

Attachments

• SDC10201.jpg
    SDC10201.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 356
  • SDC10205.jpg
    SDC10205.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 370
  • SDC10207.jpg
    SDC10207.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 366
I am sure ther is every kind of tree in here known to Norther Virginia, here is a few am not sure of: New power lines came through a few yrs ago and was dumped, her

Attachments

• SDC10206.jpg
    SDC10206.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 358
  • SDC10202.jpg
    SDC10202.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 351
  • SDC10204.jpg
    SDC10204.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 360
Most of it looks like ash. The stuff in the first picture with the dark centers may be some kind of nut bearing tree, like walnut or hickory.

That is a lot of wood. How long is it going to take you to clean all that up? Any idea how much is there?

if its 50/50 ...to me not much of a deal....unless you got children to help with the work

Looks to be some Basswood in the mix. it sure is mixed hardwoods!

jimosufan said:
if its 50/50 ...to me not much of a deal....unless you got children to help with the work

Sweet deal to me 1/2 wood for 1/2 work there is between 9 to 11 cords, maybe more. :zip:

Show me yours.

nrford said:

Basswood ?? never heard of it.

cptoneleg said:
nrford said:

Basswood ?? never heard of it.

photo on top right, has two basswood logs in it, and large log in bottom photo second group is also basswood. Also known as American Linden. Soft, light,and little btu value. Now you've heard of it and seen it in person.

2nd post, 2nd pic looks like Yellow/Tulip Poplar to me. Brownish greenish heartwood and bark that looks a lot like white ash.

CountryBoy19 said:
2nd post, 2nd pic looks like Yellow/Tulip Poplar to me. Brownish greenish heartwood and bark that looks a lot like white ash.

It is

Man, that is one heck of a find if I ever happen across a score that good I might have to slap myself a few times to make sure it's not a dream. Great Score

So all that you split - you share 50/50 with the landowner? Sounds like 1/2 the wood for 100% of the work.

Maybe I'm spoiled or greedy - but I don't think it would be worth my time. Even with a gas splitter - it's hard work to me. Too hard to give away wood, when around the next corner - there's someone giving away 100% free wood.

All that matters is it works for you and that you are happy with the score. I see alot of good wood - congrats

basswidow said:
So all that you split - you share 50/50 with the landowner? Sounds like 1/2 the wood for 100% of the work.

Maybe I'm spoiled or greedy - but I don't think it would be worth my time. Even with a gas splitter - it's hard work to me. Too hard to give away wood, when around the next corner - there's someone giving away 100% free wood.

All that matters is it works for you and that you are happy with the score. I see alot of good wood - congrats

No landowner does half the work also

Status
Not open for further replies.