C List Find/Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mhvond

Nov 5, 2009
SW CT
Saw a listing for free firewood and followed up. This is what I found, after I made a couple of cuts, and what it looks like in my yard.

Better photos in Post #6

Attachments

• CL Score.jpg
    CL Score.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 419
  • CL Score 2.jpg
    CL Score 2.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 422
nice find...

Not a thing wrong with Free wood!! good score!

mhvond said:
Saw a listing for free firewood and followed up. This is what I found, after I made a couple of cuts, and what it looks like in my yard.

Nice find, is that maple?

zap

Just like money in your bank!
Happy Burning!

That is always good to find the free wood. Looks like you found a good one too.

zapny said:
mhvond said:

Nice find, is that maple?

zap

Good question. I am not sure what type of wood it is. The straight peices split easily, but the knots are a bear. Also, there is a darker "core" that can be "stringy". Here are some photos, maybe someone else can help me?

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• White meat, flaky bark.jpg
    White meat, flaky bark.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 218
  • Unique core.jpg
    Unique core.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 231
  • bark and meat.jpg
    bark and meat.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 210
I think that is maple, looks like Red Maple to me. Nice firewod, and Red Maple will be seasoned by next winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.