C350 Winterport glass orientation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tobin

Dec 10, 2022
Wisconsin
I was giving my Jotul C350 insert a good cleaning this morning, and for the first time I noticed printing on the bottom of the glass that read "THIS SIDE OUT". The insert has been in regular service for years, and I've never replaced or removed the glass. Just happened to see the writing because I was inspecting gaskets with a bright flashlight and the glass was freshly cleaned. I remember that a Vermont Castings Resolute Acclaim I had many years ago used coated glass so I'm familiar with the concept.

The printing that says "THIS SIDE OUT" is facing towards the firebox. Was the glass installed backwards by the dealer or factory? I've already ordered new gaskets.

Maybe If the door was removed and sitting front down on a work bench, “outside” could be interpreted differently? Seems less likely to be correct but I have time before the new gaskets arrive anyway.

I posted here years ago when I had lots of problems with a Vermont Castings and received great advice, so thought I’d try to confirm my assumption that the glass was currently backwards. (I couldn’t find old log-in info and use a different email now.) I currently use this Jotul inset and Jotul stove, and never have any issues with them.

Looks like it identifies which side has the IR coating

4B667294-CE64-4539-ACF6-B5ECA7043F0D.png

I still have the original paperwork for the insert, and it was the verbiage used that made me question which “facing out” they’re referring to. They’re writing from the perspective of the door sitting on a flat surface and not mounted to the insert. It also seems like an odd factory or dealer mistake if it was assembled backwards.

I would think you want the IR coating not exposed to the flame. So out means facing out with the door closed.

I would think you want the IR coating not exposed to the flame. So out means facing out with the door closed.

Which brings the additional question; Is the glass IR coating damaged if it’s been installed backwards for years?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the IR coating conducts electricity. I’m not getting continuity or Ohm readings on either side of the glass, although the meter I’m currently using is just a cheap one I generally use for 12v DC.

Which brings the additional question; Is the glass IR coating damaged if it’s been installed backwards for years?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the IR coating conducts electricity. I’m not getting continuity or Ohm readings on either side of the glass, although the meter I’m currently using is just a cheap one I generally use for 12v DC.
I sometimes think I see a bit of greenish tint to the reflections I view in the glass. Do you see anything like that? I’m guessing it’s not a big deal if it’s present or not. I wouldn’t worry about it again until it’s time to change the glass gasket. Then I’d install with letters readable from outside the firebox and not think about it again until the gasket needed replaced again.

I’m definitely overthinking it, but now it’s like a mystery I need to solve. Does anyone else see some gray area in how the manual is written where the label on the glass is currently facing outside if the door was sitting on a bench? I do see some slight greenish tint on the glass.

I replaced the door gasket a few years ago, but the glass gasket is factory and both are probably due for a refresh. In the meantime, I’m running it like usual and it’s been burning all day today. I’m recording some current temp readings so that I have a baseline for later comparison. Door frame average is around 350 degrees Fahrenheit, The average for the center of the glass is 600 using an Infrared thermometer. I started testing using a metal probe contact thermometer, but exceed it range which apparently tops out at 570.

It would be great if someone else with a C 350 or other Jotul with IR glass could chime in with glass writing or temp info.

Installed a new gasket and flipped the glass so This Side Out faces the room. Average external glass temp is down and firebox temp is up. Heat output from the blower also seems improved. It seems the mystery is solved.

Reactions: EbS-P
Installed a new gasket and flipped the glass so This Side Out faces the room. Average external glass temp is down and firebox temp is up. Heat output from the blower also seems improved. It seems the mystery is solved.
Nice work.