Cab 50 igniters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

logan6769

Dec 26, 2016
Greenfield Ma
Is there a way to test the heating element on a cab50? I used a multi meter to check the continuity but not sure if that is reliable. My pellet stove won't light with the heating element. There is power going to it but it won't heat up. I want to make sure before I order one.

They should be around 35 to 50 ohms (unplugged of course). If you don't burn corn the 300 watt units are supposed to last longer than the 380 watt ones. You can find 2 packs on amazon or ebay for approximately $50.

If you have power too the igniter but it's not glowing that pretty much means the igniter is toast.You could jump the igniter direct with a jumper wire.

If you have power too the igniter but it's not glowing that pretty much means the igniter is toast.You could jump the igniter direct with a jumper wire.
I have power going in one side of the igniter only. Everything else is working on the stove. I put some hand sanitizer on some pellets and got it running that way. It been running like a champ since.

I want to be on the right path in which replacement parts I need before I order them.

If the igniter measures okay, you have a problem with the wiring. Remember, you need a complete circuit to work, so examine both wires for their entire length, from control to igniter. If you have power TO the igniter, and the igniter is good, then the return path is suspect. On my stove, all the neutrals go to one spot, and it's easy to see how one could get knocked off the strip during cleaning. Sometimes an ingiter will only partially fail, so that it measures okay, but doesn't get hot enough to do its job.

If the igniter measures okay, you have a problem with the wiring. Remember, you need a complete circuit to work, so examine both wires for their entire length, from control to igniter. If you have power TO the igniter, and the igniter is good, then the return path is suspect. On my stove, all the neutrals go to one spot, and it's easy to see how one could get knocked off the strip during cleaning. Sometimes an ingiter will only partially fail, so that it measures okay, but doesn't get hot enough to do its job.

Thank you!! All fixed!

Glad you got it going, and thanks for the feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.