Cab 50 Noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

res514

Apr 21, 2014
Eastern Pa
I am new to pellet stoves and just purchased a Cab 50 and installed in my basement. The stove seems to work fine however 2 days ago at times it rumbles like a freight train every once and a while. I spoke to the dealer and he suggested i close the feed door down a little, didn't seem to help.My venting is vertical for 4' then horizontal for 1' through wall to termination cap. Any ideas? Rick

this is common with many stoves.
afaik, it's a certain resonance in the venting.

some have suggested opening and closing the door.
this should disrupt the harmonic.
when my stove does this, it's usually on start up.

it doesn't happen regularly, so i assume it has to do with specific atmospheric conditions.
differing pressures indoor vs. out?
i'm just guessing here.

When we get the rumbling its usually in association with having to hit the reset button {cleaned hopper-pellet chute empty-sometimes have to hit reset a couple of times a few minutes apart to refill the chute}......its too many pellets in the burnpot at one time ,afaik......

its too many pellets in the burnpot at one time ,afaik......

This, I only get the noise when the fire is really going at start up on a cold day (I run the gate wide open and damper full open as well). If it bothers you, you can shut the gate abit as well as adjusting the damper (under ash pan)

This, I only get the noise when the fire is really going at start up on a cold day (I run the gate wide open and damper full open as well). If it bothers you, you can shut the gate abit as well as adjusting the damper (under ash pan)

Thanks for your answers, I will try adjusting the damper see if it changes anything. As i stated being a newbe I have other questions i will post later.

Thanks for your answers, I will try adjusting the damper see if it changes anything. As i stated being a newbe I have other questions i will post later.
How do you like the Cab 50? I was thinking about this for my basement. I have a Quad CB1200 and hear its similar but cheaper

Just finished 3rd season with cab50. The noise is common, as in once a week. I hear it more when starting it up with the house super cold.

Been a while since I read my manual but I don't recall any mention of needing to adjust the damper. I thought it came "pre-set". Could be wrong, but I'd read the manual before changing the damper all willy-nilly.

Hello- sounds like common resonance from eco choice stoves, try adjusting air damper down and sealing all holes below where the ashpan is (the shipping bolt holes, the openings along the outer seams etc..) a tech bulletin says this should help the issue... good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.