Cab 50 Pellet stove issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hillbilly308

Dec 2, 2021
Ozark MO
I have a Cab50 i bought new in 2019. in 2020 we put in a new brain and it worked the rest of the year just fine.
Went to use it this year it lite right off like it should have. It did the initial burn and shut down dead. The power was going into the Junction box but it stopped there. Put another new Brain in it and it lite up and did fine for 11 hours then it died again. The dealer said it had to be a short I could not find any bare wires. To be on the safe side I put in a whole new junction box and wiring harness, and brain.
It fired up 1 time and is dead in the water again. Does anyone have any ideas, thoughts, besides shooting it.

Do you have it plugged into a surge protector or line conditioner? The problem may be your house wiring,or the power coming into your house.

Did you check the thermocouple or are snap disc's tripping? Stove dirty and causing poor combustion?

Do you have it plugged into a surge protector or line conditioner? The problem may be your house wiring,or the power coming into your house.
The house was completely rewired new breaker panel all new wiring. It's not ran thru any surge protector. The manufacture reccomends not to run it thru anything like that.

Did you put a recording line monitor on that outlet, for several days? A bad connection at at transformer a mile away can cause an intermittent problem.

Reactions: Washed-Up
I have never, ever heard that Quadrafire,or any other stove manufacturer says NOT to use a surge protector!
Matter of fact, in Quadrafires section on battery back up,UPS,etc it says---
"Also, sometimes power outages can cause power surges that may damage circuit boards and motors. For this reason, it’s a good idea to unplug your pellet stove during a storm, or plug it into a surge protector. Another option for lighting your stove is to plug it into a generator, if you have one."

I have never, ever heard that Quadrafire,or any other stove manufacturer says NOT to use a surge protector!
Matter of fact, in Quadrafires section on battery back up,UPS,etc it says---
"Also, sometimes power outages can cause power surges that may damage circuit boards and motors. For this reason, it’s a good idea to unplug your pellet stove during a storm, or plug it into a surge protector. Another option for lighting your stove is to plug it into a generator, if you have one."
They just told me not to plug into a GFI or Surge Protector.

I’d like to see where in your manual it says no surge protector….

Did you put a recording line monitor on that outlet, for several days? A bad connection at at transformer a mile away can cause an intermittent problem.
No recording But my electrician check everything and the outlet is not the issue. H checked the stove for shorts as well and ruled out an electrical issue. So everything can can be replaced has been. It has went thru 3 brains in the past 2 days leaving the service tech scratching his Head. The dealer and service tech has been on the phone with Quadrafire and they say the wiring harness should have fixed it. Even went and got a new cord for it. They have left it with it could still blow this new brain out and if it does there is no Warranty.

GFI I can see, but a surge protector will save you from losing a $200-$500 board…I’d ask to speak to a different tech. Anyways, if everything is checked and perfect it should run fine

That is not what their literature says. And you can talk to hundreds, probably thousands of Quadrafire owners that will debate you.
It's just common sense.
Dont care what it says they just said no surge protector!!!!!!!!!!! It is not a surge If it was it would pop the fuse that is there to prevent surge in power. Matter of fact they were questioned about the cord having cross power unplugged from the outlet with the brain installed. they actually had to go check 3 different stoves and had feed of .1 to .9. According to Quadrafire everything that has been done should have fixed it!!!!!!!!

GFI I can see, but a surge protector will save you from losing a $200-$500 board…I’d ask to speak to a different tech. Anyways, if everything is checked and perfect it should run fine
Have replaced everything in it and its still blowing brains out. When you plug the brain in it voids any warranty BTW

Your fuse will not protect from a voltage surge, that is not what they are for,or how they work.
I would bet your igniter wires are shorting out,or the igniter itself.
BTY, some of those control modules are repairable, they have a soldered in fuse in them.

What Bob said…it’s most likely something as simple as the igniter wires as you can’t see that when you fire it up

Your fuse will not protect from a voltage surge, that is not what they are for,or how they work.
I would bet your igniter wires are shorting out,or the igniter itself.
BTY, some of those control modules are repairable, they have a soldered in fuse in them.
igniter was replaced and the old one checked out fine. According dealer these are not.

Ok, here’s something you can try, disconnect the igniter from the board and light the stove manually….pellets in the burnpot and use some hand sanitizer and a propane torch….that’ll eliminate the igniter if that’s the issue

Reactions: maraakate
Could it also be possible that one of the fans has a winding that is barely holding on (they can have defects from factory) and when it reaches temperature it opens intermittently and then the stove shuts off?

one of the blower motors has bad windings, auger has a bad winding, snap disc may short when tripped. did it ever blow a fuse? is the rotary dial in the control box set on #2? Thermocouple wires bare somewhere shorting it out?

Reactions: gfreek