cab 50 shuts off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bansheejoel

Aug 31, 2014
michigan
I have a 2 year old heatilator cab 50 that i bought new. The first season it worked flawless. Last year it started out working fine but as the season went on it started acting up. It first started with the high setting, it would start up on high but will quit feeding and shut off. But medium and low still worked great. Then the exact same thing happend on medium, it would start then quit feeding and shut off. Now it only works on low. Any ideas? I cleaned it all out and its still the same. Thanks!

Failing high heat snap switch? Unfamiliar with your model.

Not entirely sure either, but I think the stove included a DVD regarding troubleshooting? I've watched portions of the video on YouTube -

You say that you cleaned it all out. Did this include the entire exhaust vent pipe and the exhaust blower? It really sounds like an exhaust flow problem.

Have you cleaned the convection blower? (The room air blower underneath the stove.) The squirrel-cage fan can easily get clogged with dust/etc buildup. But the stove would have to have almost no air coming out for it to shut down on Medium.

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
Be amazed at how many dust bunnies can live in a stove fan:)

two words "Deep Cleaning" when the heat exchange and exhaust pathways get built up heat is concentrated as it doesn't ransfer as well (with any pellet stove) so the high limit usually read on the exhaust blower, starts tripping which kills feed to back the stove down.

give her a good deep cleaning all the way through and I suspect you may be ready to rock when you need her

Have you had to reset the high limit switch? Test it for continuity. Should be normally open. Have you bypassed the vacuum and hopper lid switches? Check the ceramic thermocouple cover. It should not be loose and it should touch the thermocouple.

Ok, just got it all torn apart and tested all switches. Both of the snap discs show resistance and the high limit switch does not so that all seems correct. I took apart the blowers and they were all surprisingly clean. The hopper lid switch shows resistance when closed but not open, so that seems good as well. This thing is frustrating haha

Did you clear the vacuum line and check the door gasket? If it ain't tight it won't run right!

Status
Not open for further replies.