CAB50 control box rotary switch function?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That box comes out of the factory at #4 and #5 is the +10%.

Eric
Since I aquired the stove last year, I always found the flame and firebox temp on the low side.This is regardless of what I did with the fuel damper inside the pellet storage. Sawdust accumulation at the bottom of the auger tube also negatively impacts performance. I thought about controlling the auger motor with a small PLC to get better control over the feed rate as it appeared only a few more pellets per cycle would make the difference. Then I chanced upon your comment here about the + 10% setting. I tried it and it made a huge difference, giving me another 75 degrees of fire box temperature and a consistant flame. Thanks

Since I aquired the stove last year, I always found the flame and firebox temp on the low side.This is regardless of what I did with the fuel damper inside the pellet storage. Sawdust accumulation at the bottom of the auger tube also negatively impacts performance. I thought about controlling the auger motor with a small PLC to get better control over the feed rate as it appeared only a few more pellets per cycle would make the difference. Then I chanced upon your comment here about the + 10% setting. I tried it and it made a huge difference, giving me another 75 degrees of fire box temperature and a consistant flame. Thanks

Curious as to what the part number of your box. Newer models have a different part# then the originals. Trying to figure out what changes they made in the boxes.

Curious as to what the part number of your box. Newer models have a different part# then the originals. Trying to figure out what changes they made in the boxes.
I could not find a part number on the box to determine if it was 7058-188 or 172. It is the original on this 2 year old stove. The board number on the PCB is B3507127 if that helps.

p/n srv7058-188
I have no information on #4 or #5 so I would say it is not used at this time.

#2 is factory for the CAB50 and PS50
#3 adds +10%
#6 is factory for the PS35
#7 is +10%

Basically the +10% is used for very dense fuel. The is just an adjustment to the auger and not the blowers.

Eric
Eric, is that +10% just air (more RPM at comb motor) or is it an increase in air and fuel?

I set my Cab 50 old board to one setting higher...5...(1 year ago) It is supposed to add 10 % but it seems like a lot more. The firebox runs about 40 degrees hotter and outputs much more heat. Of course there is a corresponding fuel increase but with cold Canadian winters and a 1200 foot garage to heat the stove is performing much better. For some reason is seems to be less subject to feed tube blockages due to sawdust as well. I would caution however that if the mechanical condition of the feed screw and throat is better than mine you are close to overfiring the unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.