Cab50 problem....again.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MommyOf4

Feeling the Heat
Oct 4, 2012
Southern MD
My stove's fire looked weird to me and I decided to turn off the stove. When I say weird, I mean the fire was burning TOO close to the pellet chute (I've never seen it burn like this). Now my stove won't feed pellets.

The "white" part near the chute is where the fire was burning.

What could have caused this and how could I fix it? Thanks for the help in advance!

Attachments

• cab50.jpg
    cab50.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 288
Total grasping at straws here....but maybe check the holes in the burnpot to make sure none are plugged? Let it cool down and get a flashlight and a piece of coat hanger or something and clean them all. Maybe something is plugged and the air flow is pushing that flame back towards the rear wall?

to get the auger restarted I'd be checking the high limit switch reset button .

when the stove was burning funny could you hear the combustion blower running ?

Total grasping at straws here....but maybe check the holes in the burnpot to make sure none are plugged? Let it cool down and get a flashlight and a piece of coat hanger or something and clean them all. Maybe something is plugged and the air flow is pushing that flame back towards the rear wall?

Completely clear.

to get the auger restarted I'd be checking the high limit switch reset button .

when the stove was burning funny could you hear the combustion blower running ?

The reset button wouldn't work. I don't remember the noise on the combustion blower. Sorry.

Is the ash trap closed completely??

Looks like you had a seriously lazy flame and it burned hot where the flame was? But sooty everywhere else?

Is the ash trap closed completely??

Looks like you had a seriously lazy flame and it burned hot where the flame was? But sooty everywhere else?

The ash trap is closed completely. The fire wasn't a lazy burn.

Hopper was full or empty?

Damper under ash pan is still open?

Door on ash clean out isnt hanging down more than the thickness of a dime?

In order to get that much black (the entire firebox looks black), the flame almost had to be lazy?? Or you somehow had entirely to much fuel and there was no air getting under the pellets (ash on bottom)??

Have you tried to restart it yet??

If there was not 400 miles between us I would drive out just to see this one in a million stove. Not poking at you but you have had more issues with this CAB50 than the entire list of CAB50 complaints on this board. Are you sure you are not a "plant" from USSC?

Eric

Reactions: MommyOf4
Or the stove is loaded with ash in the exhaust system which brings up the question of how many bags of pellets have been burned since the vent and exhaust passages in the stove were cleaned or the door isn't sealed maybe the latch is loose or not closed all the way?

Did you ever get the issue with the door not sealing corrected? Please explain again how this stove is vented, listing all components of the vent and diameter of pipe (i.e. adapter, tee, 36" vertical, ect.). There has to be one small thing that is messing with this stove.

Eric

LOL @ Kinsmanstoves!! I wish that was it!

I've burned about half a ton of Lignetics and a few bags of Power Pellets/Statesmen.

From reading the manual, I think it has to do with resetting a snapdisk 2 or 3. I'm trying to figure that part out now. :(

Did you ever get the issue with the door not sealing corrected? Please explain again how this stove is vented, listing all components of the vent and diameter of pipe (i.e. adapter, tee, 36" vertical, ect.). There has to be one small thing that is messing with this stove.

Eric

We use the Selkirk VP venting and it has attached in order adapter, tee, long vent pipe (not sure what it's called), 90(?) elbow, long piece out through the wall and a rain cap attached to it.

The guys that came before said the sealing to the door was ok.

Hopper was full or empty?

Damper under ash pan is still open?

Door on ash clean out isnt hanging down more than the thickness of a dime?

In order to get that much black (the entire firebox looks black), the flame almost had to be lazy?? Or you somehow had entirely to much fuel and there was no air getting under the pellets (ash on bottom)??

Have you tried to restart it yet??

The damper and clean outs are both closed. When the fire started looking weird the fuel kept coming out and that was reason I turned the thermostat to the lowest setting (causing it to turn off).

Will the stove restart?

The snap disc you are looking for ONLY Needs Reset if the stove was overfired and WILL NOT START?

So turn the stat up. If stoves blower comes on? Its not tye snap disc.

Will the stove restart?

The snap disc you are looking for ONLY Needs Reset if the stove was overfired and WILL NOT START?

So turn the stat up. If stoves blower comes on? Its not tye snap disc.
The stove won't feed at all and doesn't seem to start at all. I do hear a blower of some kind. When I hit the reset button, nothing happens and I don't hear anything.

I have never seen a snap disk on a Heatilator needing reset.

Eric

Have you tried to jump the vacuum switch?

If the combustion blower is starting and your auger isnt? The 1st place I would look is vacuum?

Does the CAB have a Hopper lid switch? Is it closing properly?

Have you tried to jump the vacuum switch?

If the combustion blower is starting and your auger isnt? The 1st place I would look is vacuum?

Does the CAB have a Hopper lid switch? Is it closing properly?

There's no lid switch. Everything seems to be closing properly.

The CAB 50 has a magnetic hopper lid switch. I would bet $5 that you did not trip the high limit snap disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.