Cabin Build Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Just some questions on the milling for the cabin. The roof calls for 3/8 inch plywood but we want to save some money so we plan on milling our own boards, will white pine or hemlock at that thickness be strong enough?

The flooring on the inside of the cabin calls for 3/4 inch, we will be using either white pine or hemlock, will it be strong enough?

zap

http://www.townandcountryplans.com/klondike.html

I don't think you'll have a problem zap.

oldspark said:
Whats the spacing on the floor joists and rafters?

The plans call for both the joists & rafters to be 16 inch on center. The rafters also call for 2 x 4 blocking 48 inch on center

zap

Personally, I'd do the roofing at 1/2. What are you doing for flooring? Is your milled stuff gonna be the underlayment, or will it be "it"?? If it's the actual flooring, then will you be tongue and grooving it?

My dad always cut 1" & the wood would shrink to 3/4" roughly when dry. He used poplar mostly, roofs & floor.
Siding was cut at 3/4".
Some where there is a shrinkage chart for various woods.
He nailed them on green before they dried I bowed. They shrunk & had small gaps between the boards.

Steep roof with metal? Snow load shouldn't be a problem. I'd mill a little thick, since the wood will shrink some.
But I typically over build to the safe side.

Danno77 said:
Personally, I'd do the roofing at 1/2. What are you doing for flooring? Is your milled stuff gonna be the underlayment, or will it be "it"?? If it's the actual flooring, then will you be tongue and grooving it?

Flooring, our milled wood will be the actual flooring at this point & time, tongue & groove we have to decide yet. I was thinking a wide plank flooring without T&G.

Zap

bogydave said:
My dad always cut 1" & the wood would shrink to 3/4" roughly when dry. He used poplar mostly, roofs & floor.
Siding was cut at 3/4".
Some where there is a shrinkage chart for various woods.
He nailed them on green before they dried I bowed. They shrunk & had small gaps between the boards.

Steep roof with metal? Snow load shouldn't be a problem. I'd mill a little thick, since the wood will shrink some.
But I typically over build to the safe side.

I think the roof is a 3/12 pitch, we are not sure on the roofing material yet but it calls for shingles in the plan.

zap

If your going at 3/8 you better be "screwing" those boards down green.

smokinjay said:

We can use screws, plus the wood will have some time to dry. Since this weekend will be nice in our area I might get back milling some pine, it would be nice to get another 400 bf done if not more before the snow.

zap

The roof on my house is decked with 3/4" x 10" pine boards with 16" OC trusses. It has been fine for the past 50 years.

If you put the deck down green, the boards will shrink and leave gaps, which isn't a huge deal.

To Jay's point, if nailed it will work some of those nails out as it dries...leaving a head that could poke thru shingles later on. If it were me, I'd put down metal roofing.

zapny said:
smokinjay said:

We can use screws, plus the wood will have some time to dry. Since this weekend will be nice in our area I might get back milling some pine, it would be nice to get another 400 bf done if not more before the snow.

zap

Guess what I am getting at milling 3/8 that wood is going to cup and split bad when drying. You would be better off milling and installing it the same week.

Smokin, just do not have the time to mill the wood then install it in the same week, guess I will deal with it.

zap

BTW, is it really cheaper to mill your own boards when plywood is so danged cheap?. What's a 3/8 sheet cost anyway, like 7 bucks? someone do the boardfeet math on that for me. I'd rather read about it than figure it! lol.

zapny said:
I was thinking a wide plank flooring without T&G.

Zap

I vote for this. random width planks milled by yourself would look super cool. if they are wide enough then not t&G shouldn't be a problem. start getting into the 4" range and then it gets to feeling wobbly.

zapny said:
Smokin, just do not have the time to mill the wood then install it in the same week, guess I will deal with it.

zap

Strap it down tight. Maybe a little thicker than 3/8 to. I seen 3/4 twist like a pretzel.

Danno77 said:
BTW, is it really cheaper to mill your own boards when plywood is so danged cheap?. What's a 3/8 sheet cost anyway, like 7 bucks? someone do the boardfeet math on that for me. I'd rather read about it than figure it! lol.

$12.00 a sheet in this neck of the woods. We have the pine down so I'm cleaning up the property plus getting some nice boards out of it.

Thats what we bought the 660 for with all the milling equipment, we will end up buying some of the lumber but not for the roof. The long weekend of thanksgiving (24th - 27th) will be a weekend planned for milling unless mother nature changes things.

zap

3/8" will sag due to any snow loads. Do it right the first time and save yourself the headache.

smokinjay said:
zapny said:

zap

Strap it down tight. Maybe a little thicker than 3/8 to. I seen 3/4 twist like a pretzel.

Thanks for all the replies, after reading them all I'm milling the boards at 3/4 inch. That is what some of the siding will be to, not sure what I'll do with the 1.25 thick planks we have.

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:

zap

Thanks for all the replies, after reading them all I'm milling the boards at 3/4 inch. That is what some of the siding will be to, not sure what I'll do with the 1.25 thick planks we have.

zap
It will come into play at some point no qusetion.

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:

zap

zap

The splitting and stacking will need to wait, looks like I will be milling this weekend, I deleted the pictures from the card but had posted it here. I should get some nice planks from this. :zip:

http://www.arboristsite.com/milling-saw-mills/179893.htm

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:

zap

zap

The splitting and stacking will need to wait, looks like I will be milling this weekend, I deleted the pictures from the card but had posted it here. I should get some nice planks from this. :zip:

I know I said to break things down into cants... :cheese:4,6,8's or the big box sizes. Really didnt know where you where going with the 1.25 but it will still play out some how.

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny" date="1320260954 said:

zap

I know I said to break things down into cants... :cheese:4,6,8's or the big box sizes. Really didnt know where you where going with the 1.25 but it will still play out some how.

Just wondering if I can use the 1 1/4 inch thick planks for the flooring on the inside, some are twenty inches wide,sure would look nice.

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay" date="1320269687 said:
zapny" date="1320260954 said:

zap

Just wondering if I can use the 1 1/4 inch thick planks for the flooring on the inside, some are twenty inches wide,sure would look nice.

zap

Yea. I would want them thicker like that for lots of reason's. Thats a floor!

1.25" would make a great floor. If you are going to use wide planks on the floor I would suggest ship lapping. This will make it so when the boards shrink( as much as a 1/4" per foot in width) there will still be wood behind the crack not space. If using boards on the roof , go with 3/4" or 1". The thicker boards are not only stronger but will hold a nail or screws (if doing metal roofing) better. Hemlock is stronger but prone to splitting and splintering,a little harder on ones bare or socked feet.Use pine for the floor. Cannot wait to see pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.