1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

cable puller / come along recommendation

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by FLINT, Jan 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FLINT

FLINT Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western VA Mtns.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
  3. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    Looks like one of these.
    http://www.wyeth-scott.com/
    Its a couple bucks cheaper from the manufacturer.
    I bought one of these about 12 years ago. It is a serious puller, high quality, heavy-duty tool. It is a little clunky to work with, but I still recommend it. From the manufacturer's website you can also get different lengths of cable or additional lengths.
  4. ansehnlich1

ansehnlich1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Adams County, PA
  5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I also have a cheap 2 ton come-a-long. It does not get much use. In the last 30 years of cutting firewood I have used it exactly one time. I can usually get a tree down even if it is hung without using a come-a-long or even a tractor.
  6. FLINT

FLINT Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western VA Mtns.
    Cool, thanks for the links guys.

yeah, word has gotten around a little that I can take down trees, so I've had to take quite a few down in people's yards and in area's where they had specific instructions about trees not to hit, etc. so I like to have some insurance. a couple times i've resorted to using my heavy duty ratchet strap to give a tree a little persuasion, but that obviously isn't a good practice.
  7. wahoowad

wahoowad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Virginia
    I own the More Power Puller. Decided I wanted the strongest one I could buy if I was gonna own one. Primarily bought it in case I got my truck stuck off the beaten path. Like previous poster said, powerful but slightly clunky. I figure it will be worth it's weight in gold whenever I need it.

For trees only, I might be inclined to get a $25 one. I look for one with a double gear and pawl design. Some of the cheapies are only single gear/pawl. Some come with longer cable than others which is also an important consideration in getting the longest pull witout having to reset.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.