CAD struck today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

D8Chumley

Minister of Fire
Jun 25, 2013
Collegeville PA
Well I picked up a decent 025 today with 16" bar, new spare chain and case for $190. $150 for the saw and she said 20/case and 20/chain. It turned out to be a co-workers MIL so I didn't haggle, seemed like she could use the money. She told me she loved the saw but had a hard time starting it and had to get her brother to start it for her when she used it. Chain on it was pretty new, but had obviously hit something judging by the cutters, and in cleaning it when I got home it could use a new air filter. I'm pleased with my deal, but... I talked to one of my buddies I used to work with and he made me a deal on his MS360 that I couldn't refuse. He says it needs to be rebuilt. I haven't seen it yet but I told him I'd take it for that price. So, for those that could offer a guy some advice is there something I could/should do if a new jug, piston/rings are needed? As far as performance, if it needs to be rebuilt anyway, what would you do if it were your saw? Thanks in advance for suggestions, and here's the current addition to my Stihl line-up

002.JPG

That looks a lot like a saw (and same story) I looked at in Limerick PA.

That's exactly where I got it haha! I guess you are in the area then?

Yup. I live in Pottstown but spend a lot of time I the Limerick/Ro-Fo area.. I hope you have good luck with the saw.

It seems to run ok I think the low idle needs adjusted. It shuts off after about 5 seconds

Now you have me wondering if there was something wrong with it can you tell me why you didn't buy it?

also, i had my heart set on a 261....

Last edited:
Hmmm... Well an 025/250 is what I was looking for. I have a 391/20" bar new and a 170/14" bar 1.5 yrs old. I was looking for something in between just to have and use occasionally. I got the case and 1 brand new chain, what other accessories was she supposed to have that she did not? While I don't think it was the greatest deal I don't think I did too bad. I guess... Haha oh well all I can do now is hope for the best

She said she had two extra chains and oil and when she showed up for the purchase she only had one extra chain and no oil. she would not adjust the price lower. We agreed on a price of $190.00 (with the extra chains and oil).
I hope the saw will work nicely in your arsenal.

Reactions: D8Chumley
I talked to one of my buddies I used to work with and he made me a deal on his MS360 that I couldn't refuse. He says it needs to be rebuilt. I haven't seen it yet but I told him I'd take it for that price. So, for those that could offer a guy some advice is there something I could/should do if a new jug, piston/rings are needed? As far as performance, if it needs to be rebuilt anyway, what would you do if it were your saw?

Poor performance doesn't mean it needs a rebuild; there are all sorts of problems that cause poor performance that don't require (and won't be helped by) a new top end.

For saws that need a serious going-through, I start with a combination of partial disassembly and very thorough cleaning. I drain the gas and oil tanks. The clutch and recoil covers, muffler, top covers, the clutch itself, and maybe even the flywheel and/or carb come off. I improvise ways to seal off the intake and exhaust openings, and plug the impulse line. I use bamboo shish kabob skewers to pick and scrape off as much of the oil-soaked sawdust as possible, getting it out of all the little crevices and recesses. Then I hose it down using hot water from a kitchen sprayer that I rigged up at my basement utility sink. I'll let it drip dry briefly, turning it this way and that to let water fall out of the various recesses. Then I spritz it with full-strength Simple Green to cut the remaining surface oils, let that sit for just a few minutes, and finally rinse it clean.

The partial disassembly and cleaning process usually makes most of the problems it has fairly obvious. It's good to have a pad of paper handy so you can note broken or compromised parts to be looked up and ordered later. If you do end up having to pull the cylinder, the saw should be clean anyhow so you don't drop loose debris into the open crankcase. Besides, cleaning a saw (or anything, really) well makes it feel like yours.

Thanks for the advice Jon I will probably go take a look at it later this week or maybe even this weekend I haven't even seen it yet and I will go from there. I'm not even sure if it runs he just told me it needs to be rebuilt so who knows what that means

Jon has great advice for starting on the 360. Get it, clean it, and then start looking.

Pull the muffler, look at the piston. That will tell you lots about if it needs a rebuild. If its scored, pull the jug and see what it looks like. If its just a piston, get a Meteor, the have a pretty good reputation. You might get lucky and just have to do a carb rebuild/fuel line/impulse line.

Gotta watch that CAD........That's how I ended up with my most recent Stihl (found a deal I couldn't say no to).

025 is a good middle of the road saw. Getting ready to sell my 028 Woodboss. When I got that saw it was my felling and bucking saw. Then it got used for limbing (nice saw with a 16" bar). Now it is relegated to the garage because it is just not comparable to my two current saws........

I'm going to hopefully pick that 360 up tomorrow. He said it's partially disassembled so I'm not sure what to expect. Pics tomorrow hopefully

Extra 028 you say????????????
Yup, gonna clean it up and put it on Craigslist or Ebay. With the MS290 and the 066 it will never get used.

I can probably get it for $100 with 3 chains so I have my fingers crossed. Can you say eBay? For parts that is haha

I can probably get it for $100 with 3 chains so I have my fingers crossed. Can you say eBay? For parts that is haha

eBay parts aren't free, and if you have a local dealer it can be cheaper to get some things there and save shipping. IMO $100 for a 360 basket case that might need a top end is at best a fair price, not a steal. Inspect carefully. If it's been used hard, I'd offer less.

Reactions: smokedragon
I know they aren't free but you make a good point for the local saw shop. I have a good one by me, a Mennonite family runs it. Good, honest people and they know what they are doing. I'm buying the saw from a friend, and my buddy who has rebuilt saws is going with me so he can tell better what I'm getting into. We all used to work together, when I was a foreman these 2 guys were part of my crew (operators) and I treated them good so I don't have to worry about ill feelings lol. The guy with the saw hasn't worked with me or the company in 7-8 yrs and we are still friends so thats a good sign. I should know around noon, thats about when I'll be at his place

Sounds like you'll do fine. Good luck!

I hope so Jon, and thanks for all the advice I appreciate it

Sure. When you're looking at the saw, keep in mind that what most people mean when they say a saw needs rebuilding is that it has poor compression due to a top-end problem of some sort. The expense of addressing that depends a lot on whether you can re-use the original cylinder. A new quality aftermarket piston might cost you $40, but a decent aftermarket piston and cylinder combo will be north of $100, and will cut into the saw's resale value because OEM cylinders are perceived (generally correctly) to be superior.

Status
Not open for further replies.