CAD struck today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, no pics because I didn't want you guys to laugh, but I bought it in spite of my fears coming true. It was partially disassembled, paid $75. My buddy was with me that is going to rebuild it, so I loaded the powerhead with box of parts and the bar/chain in his trunk and he is going to take it home, put it in his parts cleaner and see what it needs. My buddy I bought it from said its locked up, tried turning the flywheel and it wouldn't go. He is going to pull the jug off and see whats up with it. At the least, I have 3.5 chains (one is all but done) and another 20" bar for my 391 if they fit, and I'd part the rest out. He's gonna take it apart the rest of the way and let me know. As far as resale value, I am not real worried about that I bought it to have/use. I told my buddy thats rebuilding it to take his time I'm in no hurry. If it wasn't a Pro saw I probably would've passed. I have to see what all the fuss about Pro saws is all about ;)

Actually it was raining its arse off and I was wet and getting cold so I just wanted to get out of there. Close your eyes and I'm sure you can get a good pic of what I bought :) Hopefully in a month or 2 it will be one badass unit running like it should be
EDIT I asked my buddy to snap a pic of the box-o-parts when he gets a chance. I need a laugh, and possibly my head examined

Last edited:
OK Jon, here she is in the trunk of my buddies' car thats rebuilding it. He threw in the milk crate for free also. Enjoy! :oops:

008.JPG

Oh man. Have I got a dirt bike for you! ==c

Reactions: D8Chumley
Aww heck, the way you were talking I thought it needed work!

I got enough deals for the day BrotherBart ;em

I'm gonna post a before/after pic... some day

I told my buddy thats rebuilding it to take his time I'm in no hurry. If it wasn't a Pro saw I probably would've passed. I have to see what all the fuss about Pro saws is all about ;)

Well, half the perk is that a "pro" saw is easier to rebuild than a clamshell...

Question. With all the saws I have now and from 14" to 20" bars covered whats the biggest I should put on this saw when she runs? I see 24/25" and 28". 28" b&c Forester combo is $75-100 new on eBay. It has a 20" with it and I have an 18" and 20" for the 391. A 25-28" should about cover all my chainsawing needs :)

I've only ever run 20" on the 036 and similar saws, and that's the most common bar length for them by far. The manual (pdf download) mentions bars up to 24", and I've seen youtube videos of 28" bars, but that's asking a lot and probably not a good everyday choice. I'd keep the 20" on it most of the time. There's nothing wrong with having a longer b&c handy for special situations.

Last edited:
IIRC the 362 you can run up to 25" at least that's the biggest size recommended on the Stihl website. Like you said it wouldn't hurt to have a longer b&c just in case. Thanks for the reply again Jon

image.jpg image.jpg Update- pics. Looks like it was run on straight gas?

I don't have the expertise to distinguish straight-gassing from the damage that would occur from an air leak or having the carb adjusted too lean, but that is pretty severe scoring on the piston. I'm more curious about the cylinder because it's so uniformly blackened, which I haven't seen before. I can't tell from that pic whether the cylinder is salvageable.

Me either but another buddy said that's what it looked like. I thought the same thing about the cyl but hard to tell from pics. I'm getting a new cylinder and ring/piston kit. They are between $65 -120 depending on the seller and kit content. Hoping to have it running for under $300 total investment

FWIW, Hyway, Raisman and Meteor kits all have good reputations. I would not risk any of the cheaper unbranded versions.

That was going to be my next question, thanks

Same kit I just put in an 034 I'm rebuilding.

That's good to hear I guess I bought a good one then :)

I got to use the 025 for the first time after work today, bucked up a 14" ash log. I'm pleased, it runs pretty good!

Update- pics. Looks like it was run on straight gas?

Yup, straight gassed. The scratches are all the way around the piston, and pretty heavy. Usually an air leak will have them concentrated around the exhaust port only due to the heat there.

Update: Its alive ==c My buddy sent me a video, I have to figure out how to upload it

Update: Its alive ==c My buddy sent me a video, I have to figure out how to upload it

Congrats! You don't upload videos here, just embed a link. Use the "embed" button, which looks like film stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.