Caddy install...Main blower cooling off heated wood furnace air?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
laynes69, how many cords are you burning each year with this new epa furnace? Also, I have an Englander 28-3500 attached to an outside chimney so I have also had a problem with smoke back up when starting a fire. My solution was to buy a cheap heat gun from Harbor Freight. I just pull the baffle forward, place the heat gun inside at the rear pointed up toward the flu and let it run for 5-10 minutes. Has worked great and no more smoke back up.

This is my first year. I always underestimated what I have burned in the past with the old furnace. I always cut and burned dead stuff on top of burning my whole pile and buying some extra in the past. Probably 7+ cords in the past. This year with the new furnace I'm around 4 1/2 now since October, heating 2400 sq ft with 10' ceilings. I've been burning less than seasoned wood so I have gone through more than I should have. As far as backup with smoke, it hasn't happened since fall when I first fired the furnace. I've burnt less than what I would have with the old furnace. I'm getting a liner soon for the chimney to solve any problems with that.

laynes69 said:
I've burnt less than what I would have with the old furnace. I'm getting a liner soon for the chimney to solve any problems with that.

im not sure how exactly ,but ive read where people who did that noticed a big difference on how their stove performed
might be a great investment to compliment your install

I know it will help improve the furnace. Right now the furnace can be sluggish with the lower flue temps. When its operating full bore its a different story. I'll put in a liner and insulate it, and next year have dry wood to burn. That and I've been burning cherry and nothing else. I wouldn't have an overnight burn with cherry in the old furnace.

Status
Not open for further replies.