Calcium Hydroxide (creosote modifier)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What happens when you burn ag lime??? Nothing but making hot rocks. I don't believe that it will work like your bottle of stuff. There have been reports of folks sprinkling a little TSP on an established fire, but I really can't speak much about it or its usefulness.

Most of this stuff works by having a chemical reaction to the gooey creosote, turning it into a more manageable flaky compound that will sweep easier. Keep in mind also, that this type of stuff is NOT a replacement for a mechanical cleaning.

Edit: I have used the bottle stuff for quite a few years (not sure of the brand cuz I am still working from the same bottle). I try to apply as directed a couple of times before the stack is to be cleaned. Not completely sure of its effectiveness, but my sweep (and I) seem to be very happy with the results after a good sweeping. I will continue my SOP.

Status
Not open for further replies.