Calculate cords in log form

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

prajna101

Oct 15, 2009
Portland OR
How do I do this? Here is a craigslist add I am considering. I can make a pretty good guess if its split and piled, but in various log lengths and diameters, is there any rule of thumb? $160 and some saw time and I am done for awhile, its temping. The add is this:

Cords of hardwood logs available. Oak, Elm, and Maple.

$80.00 per cord 2 cord minimum. $ 160 two cords delivered free to certain areas. I'm in North Portland by Interstate and Lombard and am willing to travel a few miles no charge. Small fuel fee for furthur out.

I have red oak logs in 8-16' lengths 6" - 16" diameter. on the truck right now along with some fir. Tree were just cut and wood is green

All the wood has been harvvested from hazard tree removals and not big enough to put on my sawmill.

A cord of wood is measured the same if it have been cut and split or is in log form. Still, the volume does change once it is cut and split but I'm not sure you can determine just how much difference there will be because there are too many variables. For example, are the logs all straight or are there some crooked ones in there. If more crooked, then you are buying more air. Same if there are some big knots on the logs and size also makes a difference. But perhaps someone else knows a rule of thumb you can go by. I'd just say $80 sounds pretty good. Even if it ends up costing you $100, that sounds pretty cheap for that area.

In addition, it is red oak which makes it very worthwhile. Just remember red oak dries very, very slowly. Stack it up for a few years.

Local loggers tell me a six cord load cuts and splits out to be about 5 1/2 stacked on the average, but I've never done it to test it. That's a real good deal on the oak, however. Haven't had prices that low around here in 20 years, even in log form.

I have read that a standard cord of 128 cubic feet of stacked wood contains about 85 cubuc feet of solid wood, and the rest is air space. you should be able to estimate the volume of a typical log, figure out how many of them would make 85 cubic feet, and that should be about a cord.

So. . . calculating volume of a cylinder is pi (3.142) X radius squared X Length

So. . . a log 2ft across would have to be 26ft long to be a cord.

Status
Not open for further replies.