Calculating firebox size and expected burn time.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
The area inside the firebrick in my new stove is 7.25"x12"x18". This works out to 1566 cu. in.

When I divide it by 12 for cubic feet I get 130.5. What the heck am I doing wrong here?

What burn time can I expect from a fire box this size?

Matt

Devide by 1728.... or 12 to the 3rd power.

EatenByLimestone said:
The area inside the firebrick in my new stove is 7.25"x12"x18". This works out to 1566 cu. in.

When I divide it by 12 for cubic feet I get 130.5. What the heck am I doing wrong here?

Matt

A cubic foot is 12" x 12" x 12" = 1728 cubic inches. ;)

Edit ----
You beat me by "that" much. :)

EatenByLimestone said:

Matt

Depends nearly as much on the wood as the firebox size.
I have been burning some Maple lately and I am glad I have more Oak on my property than Maple.
Oak burns MUCH longer than Maple

And way longer than the soft maple I'm burning this year. All you oak, hickory, osage burners are soooooo lucky.

Well, this is a small Century I picked up at Lowes last night.

I burn anything I can get ahold of. This year I've been burning oak and maple. It's probably soft maple, I didn't get to id it before it was scrounged. The room it is in is ~200 sq ft so it will probably be set on low most of the time.

What other info would you like?

Matt

That is a small firebox under 2 cu ft, so you can't get much more than a 6 hr burn from it even with a good hard wood. If you want more heat out of it feed it more.

I guess I need to put the cases of beer capacity/burn time table in the Wiki.

elkimmeg said:
Case of 12 oz beer equals .55 cu ft

Yes but all .55 FT 2 of beer is not created equal

Bud Light would be the Poplar of beer World, drink it if thats all I can get and its free
Bud is the Pine of beer World, gets the job done but go through too many to do it
Guinness is the Maple of the beer World, nice and smooth on a cool night
Anchor Porter is the Oak of the beer World, keeps you warm on a cold night
Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barley Wine is the Black Locust of the beer World, a few of those will keep it going all night even if its below zero and windy

and a bottle of Exedrin...priceless......

EatenByLimestone said:

Matt

My calculation from those numbers says that is 0.94 cu. ft.

I would say three to four hours burn time. Assuming you can get a full load in there. That's pretty small. You'll have to compromise on split size. Smaller splits will allow more poundage to fit in the box but smaller splits burn faster. It will take some experimentation to figure out what works best for you.

they measure the firebox size before the brick to come up with the 1.48 cubic feet on the box when in reality it is pretty puiny, I already took mine back to lowes cause my 60,000 btu salamander puts out more heat then that little thing

It's working fairly well so far. Since we will probably be too occupied with other projects in the cabin this year I have it set up in my back room. It's 83 degrees right now. I really like the air wash setup. Keeping the glass is going to be so much easier!

I've been experimenting with wood placement in the firebox. I noticed logs burning in the front of the box had their flame being sucked up (by the draft) in front of the baffle with the secondary burn tubes in it. This seems like wasted wood since the gasses can't be reburnt. Wood burning toward the back and middle has the gases traveling over the secondary tubes and reburning itself.

I think the wife is getting sick of looking at the back of my head infront of the stove as I try to see wood reduced to ash. The only think I see that I wasn't expecting was the paint falling off the burn tube/baffle. It makes sense though. It's pretty hot in there and the paint was probably only for shipping protection.

Matt

bigNATE® said:
they measure the firebox size before the brick to come up with the 1.48 cubic feet on the box when in reality it is pretty puiny, I already took mine back to lowes cause my 60,000 btu salamander puts out more heat then that little thing

The measurement includes the secondary burn area between the top of the bricks and the baffle. They all include that. Mine is advertised at 3.5 cubic feet but the actual loadable area is 3 cubic feet.

They say it is firebox size. Not the size of the area you can load wood into.

elkimmeg said:
Case of 12 oz beer equals .55 cu ft

Is that cans or bottles? I assume bottles worl yoeld slightly more area mass.

Thanks I neede a reminder I had beer in the fridge
I measured a suit case of 12 oz cans to determine the footprint cu ft area 5.5
Naturally tall boys would take up more room as woulf tall neck bottles
Got my hands on a cold tall boy now watching football

elkimmeg said:
Thanks I neede a reminder I had beer in the fridge
I measured a suit case of 12 oz cans to determine the footprint cu ft area 5.5
Naturally tall boys would take up more room as woulf tall neck bottles
Got my hands on a cold tall boy now watching football

Eh, I think I would edit that to "tallboy" Elk. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.