Q&A Calculating the size of a chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Is there a standard formula for conductance one may use when calculating the appropriate height for a chimney? I have an older stove (Alpiner) which is rather large, measuring approx. 36"x24"x 18" (approx. 9 cu.ft vol) and I need to make two 90 degree bends to get it to my 6" Class A chimney, which will be somewhere on the order of 18' from thimble to top.

Answer:

More important is the size of the door opening and the baffles arrangement inside. If the stove has a 6" flue off the rear, then the 6" is fine. As far as the exact draft, this is more of an art than science. The taller the better, and the fewer elbows, the better. No way to determine performance until it's installed and working.

Some chimney size guidelines are at:

Link: Chimney Sizing Guidelines

Status
Not open for further replies.