Calculating Value when purchasing pellets (I can't math)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abrucerd

Aug 22, 2007
Central MA
There's always a lot of talk during the off season about getting a good deal on a "good" pellet. Everyone seems to go by their past experience with specific brands, what others have said about a pellet, and if the price is right they pull the trigger.

Does anyone use any kind of formula to determine the value of their purchase?

For instance, last year I put all the prices from one distributor in a spreadsheet, and tried to factor in estimate BTU, %Ash and price into a type of value rating. I'm considering doing the same this year, but can't figure out how best to put all the factors together.

I'm doing this because I don't really notice a difference of one brand over another, with the exception of 1 or 2 pellets that I had negative experience with and wouldn't buy again. So for me, I'm just trying to get a good deal.

Any thoughts?

Sorry no magic formula,buy the brand(s) that you liked in the past at the lowest price and call it a day:)

There are generally 3 brands available to me (I don't count WM's $5/bag Pennington's). Brand 1 is mixed conifer @ $190/ton delivered. Brand 2 is 100% Doug Fir @ $225/ton delivered. Brand 3 is 90% Doug Fir @ $235/ton I haul (12 miles).

I go with brand 2 because of the low ash content and marginal gain in heat output.

That is about all the thought I put into it.

Reactions: will711
Shoulder pellets Oct/Nov - early January. I switch to higher heat/lower ash content at some point in January when the shoulder pellets can not keep up with the drop in temp. I burn these till late Feb usually. Price is a factor as well as past performance. Use what has worked for you in the past if the price is still in your budget. Maybe try a couple of bags of other brands during each season to have experience with them in case you can't get your standard pellets for some reason. Aleah's have a backup plan, but "if it ain't broken, don't fix it, use what has worked well in the past

FYI...........taking the temperature of a pellet flame does not necessarily indicate that the particular brand of pellets will provide more or less heat energy than another. Temperature alone cannot provide that information and it would be in error to use it as a reason to purchase a brand of fuel. Btus or heat content can only be measure accurately using a laboratory device known as a calorimeter. Most all wood has a similar Btu content and the MC is then the deciding factor in net heat output. Of course pellet size and cost should be in there too. To me the best pellet is one of uniform size, low MC, low cost, and made of virgin wood. The rest is all about the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.