Calculating Wood Stack Volume...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gman1001

Jan 9, 2006
Sales
Every year I try to stack my wood so that I can tell exactly how many cords I have. I'm always curious how much I burn each winter so I know how much to collect each spring.

But my stacks are never end up as neat and tidy as I hope, they are usually governed by the size or dimension of the pallates I use and I always go as high as I can - usually up to six feet or more.

So I was thinking of estimating my stash in terms of volume. If a cord of wood is 4x4x8, thats 128 Cubic Feet of wood. So two cords would equal 256 Cubic ft. etc...

Question:

Assuming the above is correct - is there a standard cubic foot reduction % to account for the air gaps in a stack?

Anyone have interesting ways of measuring estimating their stacks/stash?

I think that's generally accounted for and no need to further reduce the volume. The 128 ft ^3 /cord is correct and based on a tight stack (Not completely void of air pockets). The cord would not be equivalent to a 128 ft^3 solid Block of wood, if that was the question.

A 128 cubic foot stack actually contains around 80 cubic feet of wood but the measurement of the cord is done air and all at a 128 cf.

I've heard your gaps in the wood should be big enough for a squirrel to get through, but small enough to stop the dog chasing it.

City man goes into the country to buy some firewood and asks the farmer how much. Farmer says, "Well, I've got wood for $100 per cord. Or some for $150 and some for $200." The city man was confused and asked if it was different wood in the three stacks and the farmer said no, it was the same wood. All seasoned oak.

The city man asked why the difference in price. The farmer says, "Well, this stack over here for $100, if a rabbit comes along with a dog hot on it's heels, the rabbit jumps through the piles and the dog follows. This other stack, the rabbit and dog comes through and the rabbit runs through but the dog has to go around. This other one though, both the rabbit and dog have to go around."

The 4x4x8 is not how a cord is defined. It is 128 cubic feet of stacked split wood. I seldom get 4 foot wide rows but I try and stick to 4-5 feet of stack height to minimize tippage. Just measure the stack and do the math.

Status
Not open for further replies.