Caleffi Quicksetter balancing valve recommended on boiler inlet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stew

Jun 10, 2008
Quebec ca
After lurking for years I finally purchased a Frohling FHG, and I am in the process of installing it.
My installer is recommending a Caleffi Quicksetter balancing valve on the boiler inlet between the pump and the boiler. http://www.caleffi.com/usa/en-us/catalogue/quicksettertm-balancing-valve-132432a
I am using a Caleffi series 280 mixing valve for boiler protection.
I seached this site and have not seen any mention of anyone using this valve.
Is this because the valve is fairly new on the market, or because it is not needed?

I am totally not an expert, but could you use a pump that has variable speed capability to dial it in as you wish?

I already have the pump, a Grundfos 15-42. The pump puts out 10GPM's at 8 ft of head.
The tank is 2 ft from the boiler.
By the time you get a variable speed pump, I think the valve would be better.

Hi Stew,
I would say I am in the same situation.
Working on a project with a FHG 50 and there is a quicksetter on the parts list. All I can think is that the installer prefers to know what is going on with the system and how much flow is going through the boiler. Its easy then to get the BTUh on the spot and to troubleshoot if you cant seem to crank the temperature in your storage more than 175F because you don't have enough flow (eg. the mix valve doesn't have a high enough Cv...). I know, the quicksetter is expensive but worth the knowledge. You'll know easily when you are burning unseasoned wood and can measure you loads of wood with a scale to experiment a bit.

Just curious, whats the cartridge set in the 280 return protection mix valve, 150F?
Cheers,
Trex83

I put a 132 at the supply out of my EKO and one on the return to the bypass valve. I wanted to see how the thermostatic valves regulates flow as the boiler warms and to know when the bypass is 100% closed. More for confirming operation but they also provide isolation for working on components. I work for Caleffi so I get a good price on components for testing.

Select the 115F sensor cartridge, as the valve has an 18° differential. So 115 + 18 = 133° for complete by pass close off.

I started off with a 130F cartridge, but my boiler hit high temperature and ramped down before the bypass was completely closed.

I feel 133F is adequate return temperature protection.

Hi Stew,
I would say I am in the same situation.
Working on a project with a FHG 50 and there is a quicksetter on the parts list. All I can think is that the installer prefers to know what is going on with the system and how much flow is going through the boiler. Its easy then to get the BTUh on the spot and to troubleshoot if you cant seem to crank the temperature in your storage more than 175F because you don't have enough flow (eg. the mix valve doesn't have a high enough Cv...). I know, the quicksetter is expensive but worth the knowledge. You'll know easily when you are burning unseasoned wood and can measure you loads of wood with a scale to experiment a bit.

Just curious, whats the cartridge set in the 280 return protection mix valve, 150F?
Cheers,
Trex83

Hi Trex83,
Thanks for the reply. My install should be happening later this week. We are on the Quebec side near Hawksbury, probably not far from you.
PM me if you want to hook up with me once I get things burning.
Re mix valve temp, see my reply to the next post.

I put a 132 at the supply out of my EKO and one on the return to the bypass valve. I wanted to see how the thermostatic valves regulates flow as the boiler warms and to know when the bypass is 100% closed. More for confirming operation but they also provide isolation for working on components. I work for Caleffi so I get a good price on components for testing.

Select the 115F sensor cartridge, as the valve has an 18° differential. So 115 + 18 = 133° for complete by pass close off.

I started off with a 130F cartridge, but my boiler hit high temperature and ramped down before the bypass was completely closed.

I feel 133F is adequate return temperature protection.

So is it fair to say the Quicksetter 132 is "nice to have" but obviously not essential? I happen to like the idea of knowing what going on.

My supplier was sent the 130F cartridge by mistake instead of the 140F I ordered. I now have both a 130F cartridge and a 140F cartridge.
Based on your advice I think I will start with the 130 cartridge. The 18 degree differential is a bit confusing when everthing I've read talks about a 140F return temp,
not the value of the cartidge.

When I ordered my caleffi 280, the on line supplier said that it's no longer supplied as a 140. I stuck with the 130. It starts opening at 130 but as Bob said, it completes opening at 148.

When I ordered my caleffi 280, the on line supplier said that it's no longer supplied as a 140. I stuck with the 130. It starts opening at 130 but as Bob said, it completes opening at 148.

That would explain why my supplier got sent the 130 as standard issue. Sounds like it's the right one.

Status
Not open for further replies.