Calif. teen gets stuck in chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mellow

Resident Stove Connoisseur
Jan 19, 2008
Salisbury, MD
I tell you what, some bright kids out there. This ones parents must be proud.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2011/12/calif-teen-gets-stuck-in-chimney/

ht_chimney_rescue_jp_111216_wblog.jpg

There was a kid around here who wanted to be an astronaut....his parents found him in the dryer! :lol:

(I am so sorry for that one!)

Caption for the picture:

"Even though they were successful in putting out the chimney fire, the method employed by the local volunteer firefighters is currently under investigation."

Hmm, he looks a bit dirty. Maybe he'll become the poster boy for regular chimney cleaning?

Hey, this sure beats the article that was cited here a few months ago where a skeleton turned up in a chimney, and a couple of folks had to say, "I always wondered what happened to my brother."

Yes, it was not the smartest thing to have done, although the kid would probably have thought it was if he got away with it. In a convoluted way, it does show a measure of respect for his parents' rules--at least he knew they meant them. I can't look at anyone's teen and say, "I know for a level fact that neither of mine would do anything that stupid", because they surprise me all the time--with brilliance, compassion, and jaw-dropping dumbnity as well.

Can't fix stupid? I don't know; I think time and experience can help. Before we throw too many stones, let's take an honest look at our own adolescence, and see if there was anything we would do differently now that we have a little perspective. If the same kid goes back in the same chimney next week, then fine, leave him there. But I'm betting he's completely cured of that particular flavor of stupid.

Wonder how long he was stuck there. . .

snowleopard said:
Can't fix stupid? I don't know; I think time and experience can help. Before we throw too many stones, let's take an honest look at our own adolescence, and see if there was anything we would do differently now that we have a little perspective. If the same kid goes back in the same chimney next week, then fine, leave him there. But I'm betting he's completely cured of that particular flavor of stupid.

Wonder how long he was stuck there. . .

Lets see! i am pushing 50 and looking back at the amount of STUPID things i have done, that cant be fixed %-P

But good luck to that fella :coolgrin: The Dumbass!!! :lol:

loon

Nope. Just looked back over 64 years and the 132 stupid things, that is just the memorable ones, don't add up to that stunt. And sneaking in shows the same measure of respect for the rules as using a getaway car after the bank robbery does. :lol:

But I am extremely happy that the lad didn't get himself dead.

BrotherBart said:
Nope. Just looked back over 64 years and the 132 stupid things, that is just the memorable ones, don't add up to that stunt. And sneaking in shows the same measure of respect for the rules as using a getaway car after the bank robbery does. :lol:

But I am extremely happy that the lad didn't get himself dead.

Respect more in the sense of `acknowledgment' than `esteem'.

When I first saw this on the internet I figured it was someone who thought it would be a good idea to dress up as Santa and come down the chimney . . .

Stupid people are actually incredibly clever in that they find news ways of being stupid all the time........

At least the lad only got a bit of dented pride, and he'll have a good story to tell his grandchildren...... ;-)

Wonder if that picture will make it into the family album . . . or the family vid that gets shown at gatherings . . . "Hey, hit rewind--I wanna see that part again . . . "

Status
Not open for further replies.