California Storm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jpl1nh

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2007
Newfields NH
Hearing reports of wind gusts to 165 mph and snowfall up to 10'!! Anyone out there got power so you can fill us in or send us some pics?

jpl1nh said:
Hearing reports of wind gusts to 165 mph and snowfall up to 10'!! Anyone out there got power so you can fill us in or send us some pics?

i have been waiting for some guys to post pics and tell us about the storms.. we don't get those over here in the east!

iceman said:
jpl1nh said:

i have been waiting for some guys to post pics and tell us about the storms.. we don't get those over here in the east!
Yeah, I'm not sure if we should be glad we don't get storms like that or wish we did since storms are so cool!

I'm waiting to hear if nshif has seen daylight yet. He's at Lake Tahoe.

10' of snow

Matt

Greetings from Grass Valley CA.

I'm at 3K feet elevation about one hour SW of Tahoe. I don't recall anyone with 165 mph winds, but there was 65 gusts in N CA. I'm a firefighter so when the rain and wind hit, I was out for 9 hrs steady. At one point, dispatches were at the rate of 1 per minute. Truely! Lots of down wires, trees and some houses clobbered by same on top of the usual med calls and accidents. A home invaded by a tree is a sad thing indeed.

My wife had to figure out how to start and wire our generator. I have two reef aquariums, so they are critical. She did well! Our VC Encore did workman service for the 18 hrs without power. We were lucky. Actually, we've been primarily on wood heat for 2 months.

Snow followed the rain and continues.

We;; Im trying to post but I guess my connection is limeted because of power outages? If this work Ill try again

Marc said:
Greetings from Grass Valley CA.

I'm at 3K feet elevation about one hour SW of Tahoe. I don't recall anyone with 165 mph winds, but there was 65 gusts in N CA. I'm a firefighter so when the rain and wind hit, I was out for 9 hrs steady. At one point, dispatches were at the rate of 1 per minute. Truely! Lots of down wires, trees and some houses clobbered by same on top of the usual med calls and accidents. A home invaded by a tree is a sad thing indeed.

My wife had to figure out how to start and wire our generator. I have two reef aquariums, so they are critical. She did well! Our VC Encore did workman service for the 18 hrs without power. We were lucky. Actually, we've been primarily on wood heat for 2 months.

Snow followed the rain and continues.
As I read more closely, Accuweather reports 165 mph from Ward Mt in Nevada, not CA, though a report of 132 from Mammouth Mt in Ca and 108" at Kirkwood Ski Resort. They say the skiing will be great as soon as they can dig down and find the ski lifts! %-P

OK that worked lets try again
The storm wasnt really that bad here except for the wind, probably around 65mph which blew pretty good but im suprised not many trees came down. The snow was not as bad as predicted but still got 2'+ here. Kirkwood ski resort up the road 20 miles reported 11' but you know how ski resorts report snow. Power has been off and on and has currently been off for 12 hours. I love generators. Started clean up today a majot PITA . heres a pic if it will load last time it wouldnt
guess Ill have to resize it

Well it wont load dont understand ive posted many pics b4 Ill try another
still wont load Ill try latter

Glad your ok. 2' of snow is nothing to sneeze at, 11' is ridiculous! Looking forward to pics if you get things working. A wood stove and a generator and you're pretty much good to go!

jpl1nh said:
Glad your ok. 2' of snow is nothing to sneeze at, 11' is ridiculous! Looking forward to pics if you get things working. A wood stove and a generator and you're pretty much good to go!

Without the 2 Id probably be out of here by now. Over the last 2 days weve had no power for at least 24 hrs. without the gen and the stove we would have had no water and no heat. let alone lights or tv or this computer ( refer freezer as well) which is running now only becaues of the gen

Good to hear from you and that all is well. Sounds like you don't need to worry about the food. Mother nature is supplying a rather large one outside.

Mon AM update
Looks like the snow is taking a dayoff, got some paths cleared and the drive open so time to wait for another blast tonight and tomorrow. Power still out, been about 30 hours straight now but gen is holding up its end. Stove is holding temps up fine but burning a ton of wood.

BeGreen said:
Good to hear from you and that all is well. Sounds like you don't need to worry about the food. Mother nature is supplying a rather large one outside.

If I put the food outside it would be gone by morning, raccons. deer, bear, cats etc would have a feast

Yes, we would put it in the garage or we'd have the same banquet occurring.

Status
Not open for further replies.