Called dealer about PE T6 - he says it's not in production yet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike - Sorry to say this but I think the dealer is really trying to stick it to you regarding the price on the T6. I paid just over $2,000 for mine including tax in January of this year. My guy said the stove was being shipped to his shop from Albany NY (I think he said Albany). So shipping cost to your dealer might be more, unless there's a wharehouse close to him. But not $750.00 more.

If you don't mind driving for about 5 hours, you could get the stove cheaper yet, by going to Windsor, Ont.
http://maps.google.ca/
It's about 280 miles North of Athens Ohio, and there's a PE dealer there.

Forest Glade Fireplaces
11400 Tecumseh Rd E
Windsor, Ontario
Canada N8N 1L7
phone: 519-735-2229

Phone them and see what they say.

I got the dealer 10 miles up the road to come down to 2100. Now I just have to make a decsion:

Mansfield for 2200 or T6 for 2100.

Mike from Athens said:
I got the dealer 10 miles up the road to come down to 2100. Now I just have to make a decsion:

Mansfield for 2200 or T6 for 2100.

Make a decision yet ? Looks like you got very good prices on both. Seems like a real good price on the Mansfield.

bbc557ci said:
Make a decision yet ? Looks like you got very good prices on both. Seems like a real good price on the Mansfield.

It's a tough one. I'm trying to figure out how to calculate how the Mansfield would do, compared with the Heritage. My wife would really like to make the soapstone work, though I am leaning toward the T6. If the Mansfield will work, I think we'll go with that. But, based on all the good info from Gunner, Tom the Chimney sweep, and Swestall, I'm thinking I might regret passing up the T6...the inner struggle continues. Make the wife happy "luxury car" - as Tom says (I like the Mansfield, too), or go with the "sports car"? I hate that I have to analyze everything to death until I want to jump off of a bridge.

Looking at the Mansfield (for my wife):

OK, so if I can fairly easily maintain a 45* F temperature differential with the Heritage at outside temp of 15* F, how about this, assuming I want to "design" for 15* F outside temp:

Q = U·A·(Ti - Ta)

Q Total hourly rate of heat loss (Btu/hr) Calculated from equation
U Heat transfer coefficient (Btu/hr-ft2-°F)
A Net area for heat transfer (ft2)
Ti Inside design temperature (°F) Always use 65°F
Ta Outside design temperature (°F) Look up for location

So at 15*, based on the Heritage claims of heat output, I'm losing 55,000 Btu/hr.

So, if I'm doing this correctly, U*A will calculate to be 1222 Btu/hr/*F

Now, the Mansfield is rated at something like 85,000 Btu (assuming the same methods as on the Heritage)...

That would allow for a Ti of 84.5* F, meaning I could maintain 84*F at the given heat output rate of 85,000 Btu when it's 15* F outside.

But...

I know that T6 will let me fire it much higher than the Mansfield for short periods, maybe resulting in a heat output of 100,000 Btu/hr.

Too bad I can't buy both and alternate between them every other year...

Note: I screwed up the first time...numbers above were edited from original post.

Mike from Athens said:
bbc557ci said:

It's a tough one. I'm trying to figure out how to calculate how the Mansfield would do, compared with the Heritage. My wife would really like to make the soapstone work, though I am leaning toward the T6. If the Mansfield will work, I think we'll go with that. But, based on all the good info from Gunner, Tom the Chimney sweep, and Swestall, I'm thinking I might regret passing up the T6...the inner struggle continues. Make the wife happy "luxury car" - as Tom says (I like the Mansfield, too), or go with the "sports car"? I hate that I have to analyze everything to death until I want to jump off of a bridge.

Looking at the Mansfield (for my wife):

OK, so if I can fairly easily maintain a 60* F temperature differential with the Heritage at outside temp of 15* F, how about this, assuming I want to "design" for 15* F outside temp:

Q = U·A·(Ti - Ta)

Q Total hourly rate of heat loss (Btu/hr) Calculated from equation
U Heat transfer coefficient (Btu/hr-ft2-°F)
A Net area for heat transfer (ft2)
Ti Inside design temperature (°F) Always use 65°F
Ta Outside design temperature (°F) Look up for location

So at 15*, based on the Heritage claims of heat output, I'm losing 55,000 Btu/hr.

So, if I'm doing this correctly, U*A will calculate to be 1100 Btu/hr/*F

Now, the Mansfield is rated at something like 85,000 Btu (assuming the same methods as on the Heritage)...

That would allow for a Ti of 65* F, meaning I could maintain 65*F at the given heat output rate of 85,000 Btu when it's 15* F outside.

But...

I know that T6 will let me fire it much higher than the Mansfield for short periods, maybe resulting in a heat output of 100,000 Btu/hr.

Too bad I can't buy both and alternate between them every other year...

Jeeeze, I thought I was anal LOL

I'll tell ya, I LOVE the Mansfield. But, I went with the T6 because I was convinced that it was a good heater. And I knew I could get max heat quicker with the T6 than I could with the Mansfield, and still get a good overnight burn.

It's a tough choice, especially when you can get the Mansfield at that price. Best of luck with your decision.

I haven't burned in either stove but if my choices were between the T-6 and the Mansfield at that price differential that duck-footed big chunk of rock would be in my house in a heartbeat.

BrotherBart said:
I haven't burned in either stove but if my choices were between the T-6 and the Mansfield at that price differential that duck-footed big chunk of rock would be in my house in a heartbeat.

Youu guys are killing me...I am not capable of making this type of decision.

BrotherBart said:

Tell me about it. I was quoted 3K for a Mansfield, enameled iron parts. Just not in the budget. If he had said 2200.00 or close to that, I'm quite sure I would have a Mansfield sitting where the T6 is. But, I have no regrets. The T6 is doing what I was told it would do. And I like the looks and features.

But for 2200.00, Hhmmmmmm................. :)

You bought pretty the first time...this time buy heat ;-)

Seems pretty easy decision to me. Your wife likes the Mansfield. you want a big heater, you're getting a great price and you're used to burning in a soapstone stove. (Well sort of. Earlier you mentioned getting a huge coal bed. If you have a huge coal bed, why not open her up and burn it down on high? Or is this the confounding factor?) It also sounds like you have a good relationship with the dealer. Will they help you sell the Heritage? If so, done deal.

BotetourtSteve said:
Sounds like you are pretty locked in on the PE T6, so I won't try to sway you but will share a little more info on the Jotul F600: it does have a sloping firebox, taller front to shorter back, about a 3 inch difference. Per earlier post, that 2.9 cu ft (+ or -, I measured kind of quickly from the exterior due to fire burning) of firebox is total real area for wood stuffing - no baffles, tubes, etc.. Very easy to side load, which I do exclusively. Double door front not real condusive for front loading, imo, but sure that people do. I think some of the manufacturers include the tubes in their firebox size, based on personal observations when I was looking for a new stove.

Ironically, the dealer I was using also told me they could not/would not get the T6 - said they would not sell a "new" stove without a proven track record. Did offer a fair price on a Summit, but pushed me back towards Jotul. Didn't have anything bad to say about PE, just good to say about Jotul. They also sell Morso, but never once mentioned them to me for whatever reason. They have been selling stoves for 30 years. I walked in prepared to buy a PE, and walked out with a Jotul. I'm happy, and I think you will be too with whichever direction you go. If you really want/need all the heat you can use, get the optional blower - it is worth it.

Proven track record? The T-6 is a Summit firebox with a cast iron shell.
Summits are proven, whats to prove about the cat iron shell, if it looks ok in a year or so? LOL

Ah bite the bullet and just get the Equinox ;)

True that. Though the fact is, they are all good stoves.

BeGreen said:
Seems pretty easy decision to me. Your wife likes the Mansfield. you want a big heater, you're getting a great price and you're used to burning in a soapstone stove. (Well sort of. Earlier you mentioned getting a huge coal bed. If you have a huge coal bed, why not open her up and burn it down on high? Or is this the confounding factor?) It also sounds like you have a good relationship with the dealer. Will they help you sell the Heritage? If so, done deal.

Yes, I have a very good relationship with the dealer.

As far as the coal bed, it's a result of the undersized stove. As I have mentioned a couple other times, the Mansfield or T6 being "30% bigger" both in firebox size and surface area, will probably do the job at 280* that the heritage does at 400* - if I could let the heritage go down to 280 between loads, I wouldn't have this issue. It happens when I have to maintain that 400* and reloding every 2-3 hours. If I oepn primary air 100% with that coal bed, the stove surface will only be 300 or so. Not hot enough. I actually had to shovel out coals on several occasions just to get more wood in.

As far as the Heritage, a friend of mine is going to buy it (actually, steal it). But, he helped me build my pole barn and helped frame up my porch roof, so not a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.