Calling all heat hogs - consumption check time.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Half way thru my 3rd ton plus 20 bags I bought separately. Keeping the shop warm for about 30 days has increased my pellet count but it's a toasty 70F out there tonite...

I've burned 3 ton so far this year- mostly all Eureka Premiums at $189 a ton. I have another ton and a half in the garage and will more than likely consume all of it.
I have used 1 500 gal tank of propane this year, vs. 3 last year. heating bill cut in half! :)

Happy camper here in Montana!

Two ton plus 20-25 "test" bags burned so far. One ton MWP in the shed with 18 bags of Blazers and 5-7 assorted others. About 300 gals propane for hot water and zero for heat!!

smoke show said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
Calling all heat hogs - consumption check time.

Less than I thought, but I don't have an exact count. 3+ tonsish.

I do know I drank 96oz of beer tonight. ;-)

Yup 48oz of Bud Lite Platinum last night. Pretty good stuff!
The last count was 43 bags left out of 4 ish tons.
Seems like we are keeping the temps higher than last year.
It has to be age related right?? But the oil truck doesn't stop here much any more. :(

SmokeyTheBear said:
Today is March 2, 2012 and there are about 59 days left to the end of my heating season.

Bag number 175 is currently 1/3 into the hopper.

Are the rest of you set for the season and ready to go stash rebuilding?

181 so far. 64 bags of Hamers left..2 tons Pennington Oak being picked up tomorrow for this shoulder and next seasons. No fuel oil used, propane used for a hour or two while cleaning..We seem too be running household warmer this year. Retired nurse with funny accent from Mass, doesn't like to be chilly :)

Just hit the 2 ton marker this morning. :) Also supplemented with cordwood this winter. The least amount of pellets I have ever consumed.

Bag 140 went in this A.M. Propane has been used 3 times to take the chill off when I forgot to fill it :red:

175 bags left in the Stash. Long range weather forecast looking good 60's late this week. Prolly enough for
next winter, not enough looking at fuel prices. Time to HOG up :exclaim:

Bag number 122 will go in today. That's with husband turning on the stove when the temp dips below 70! Last year, we were at 192 on this date. Will likely have a full ton left over, but will buy 4 tons again this year. Hopefully they'll be some early buy prices in April.

I have burned 1 ton Green Suprem, 1 ton Cleanfire and about 1/2 ton mixed brands (see sig for brands).

1 ton & 5 bags Cleanfire, 4 bags Curran & 2 bags PWI left.

Bag 98 is in the stove now, only 49 left which should be plenty. I've been burning Green Supreme (2 tons) and I had 47 bags on NEWP left over from last year. I've only used about 20 gallons of HHO, mostly for cleaning days.

Dr.Faustus said:
i have no idea how many bags of pellets i used. how do you keep track? tally marks on a list? or do you open 1 ton at a time and just figure it out be how many bags you have left? i usually open all my pellets at delivery time, so i can restack them 2 tons high. i fit more in the garage that way. i've fit 16 tons in 1 side of the 2 car garage. nowhere near that now but i have plenty to finish off this season, and 4 tons towards next years stash.

I save the bags and count at seasons end. Some have a spread sheet or check list and mark them as they dump them in. Or do a count before you start the season and recount as you go. Mnay ways to figure it out. But keeping the bags until the season is over works best for me with less mistakes.

About 160 bags and 50 gallons of oil. Almost a ton left I think I'll make spring.

Burned 58 bags since we started mid-January. I'm not set up to store a real stash yet so I always keep 20-30 bags on the porch. Old drafty house we struggled to keep at 68, now the living area is always 75 degrees, love it !

newf lover said:
Bag number 122 will go in today. That's with husband turning on the stove when the temp dips below 70! Last year, we were at 192 on this date. Will likely have a full ton left over, but will buy 4 tons again this year. Hopefully they'll be some early buy prices in April.

Did you get you CTPellet email yet? :cheese:

bag number 111 in hopper this morning..
started a fire 3 times
no oil for heat just domestic hot water.. under 100 gallons used since September..
50 bags mwp left......

I just put bag 79 i the stove. I have 1.5 tons of Okies left. 1/2 ton of NEWP and just picked up a ton of old dominions this morning. I should be good foe the rest of this year and next but still going to pick up 2 more tons when I see a good deal!

My input isn't gonna mean much because I don't
count but doesn't really matter. We all know it's
been a mild winter. Anyway, was in the garage
yesterday so took an official count of what remains.
I got one ton of GT and 37 bags of Okanagan left.
Not sure what I started with in the Fall and not done burning.
lol. Like I said doesn't mean much but that's my
story and I'm sticking to it.

edit: Hoping prices drop. I'm ready to start building the pellet nest
for next season.

Xena said:
edit: Hoping prices drop. I'm ready to start building the pellet nest
for next season.

Xena, Some hope just arrived in an email this morning. Seems the warm weather and lack of hogs buying. May have left some extra stuff out there. So we might see a left over sale from some of the pellet houses trying to dump some product on hand. Some area's may have some and some may not.

I am not sure if this will include tha boxstores. But it could be they get some of the surplus from the mills as the pellet houses may not be pulling new stock in until they sell off whats on had. I honestly didn't expect any of this even with the mild winter. With oil prices soaring I expected demand for fuel would out way even the mild temps. But I guess in some area's this hasn't happened. Could be people just switched to NG instead of the pellet route?

Example: PowerHouse were going for $269/ton. I can now get them for $199/ton as an end of season sale! Glad I waited!!!

Attachments

• sale.jpg
    sale.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 267
I'm on bag 106 with 59 left. Shouldn't have any problem making it through the season. In fact I hope it gets/stays cold so I use'em up so I don't have to store them all summer. No oil used except for hot water.

I got the CTPellet 'Specials' email. I think I'll pass...

I'm going to make some interior storm windows and buy some permanent pellets.

Getting ready for the day that lugging pellets is pushing it.

Old age will put a lot out of the pellet business, need a good central heat system.

DonD said:
I'm on bag 106 with 59 left. Shouldn't have any problem making it through the season. In fact I hope it gets/stays cold so I use'em up so I don't have to store them all summer. No oil used except for hot water.

I got the CTPellet 'Specials' email. I think I'll pass...

Don, One of the rules is to always share the deals you find! So if you found something better you "must" share!

Well not really a rule, But it should be. At least in the pellet pig club anyways! :cheese:

slls said:
Old age will put a lot out of the pellet business, need a good central heat system.

I hear rumors of a central pellet heating system. Bulk delivery and an auto filling hopper(auger feed). So you could also keep you pellet pig status too? ;-)

slls said:

You see that is also a good reason to do what I'm up to. It helps no matter what you use.

I can also always hook up a sucker and pump them right into the hopper. Don't need no stinkin' central heating system ;-).

Status
Not open for further replies.