calling antique car/truck nuts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
This will probably win me an award for the most off-topic post ever typed into hearth.com. But I'm wondering how one might track down an old truck, if they had the owner's name, make and model, and license plate number in 1946. Articles I've read in a quick search make it appear this may be possible, but they do a poor job of outlining the steps involved, or linking to databases in which the search might begin. I suppose that's because things vary so much state to state, especially in the past.

Thanks!

Are you wanting to re-establish the title or get in touch with the grandkids, or other? A 16 year old who titled a truck in 1946 was born in or before 1930 and is probably dead. There are a few folks kicking around from the 1920s still, and they are largely the sort of folks who might have titled a truck on their sweet 16, but you would likely have to visit a facility to talk to them.

I just re-read this. You want to find the physical truck knowing who bought/registered it in 1946?

I have often suspected you are as crazy as I am, but now I am sure.

If you have the VIN, and a healthy dose of patience, you can try DMV after watching zootopia and then going to DMV with your hearing aids in good tune and your clock speed running at one half or one quarter of normal. I suggest clock speed at 1/4 normal and a healthy slug of CBD oil in your decaf beverage that morning. Like 30mL of the good stuff.

It might be helpful to know when PA went from proof of ownership being the pink slip to the paper title. I recall in NY it was some time after 1969, but I don't recall when after 1969. All the 1969 Camaro's in NY were running around on their pinks as proof of ownership when I left around Y2K. My 1982 Impala had a proper (traceable) paper title.

Good luck man.

Background: I have a cousin who is cleaning out stuff they had removed from a house that was in my family from 1692 (not a typo) until 1995. That's 303 years of family history, and she's older herself, so it's been taking her some time. Her mother (my grandfather's sister) had a lot of photos stored there, many of which are of my father, grandparents, great-grandparents, etc., which she has been sending to me as she finds them. The last group contained a photo taken in 1946, of my father (age 6), grandfather (age 30), and great-grandfather (age 57), standing next to my great-grandfather's Dodge pickup. Photo names it "his red pickup truck".

I was wondering if I might track down the last registered owner, on the chance the thing might still be somewhere on this earth, and not in a car crusher. Being safely after WW2, it likely wasn't caught in the scrap iron frenzy of the early 1940's, when anything that could rust was crushed.

As to what I'd do with it, if I did find it... decision pending. It wouldn't be the first (or second... or third...) old hulk of a vehicle I dragged home.

Dad had a 1951 International Harvester truck that I was fond of riding in the back of. That thing was built like a tank.

Reactions: Ashful
I'd look to find brand and model specific truck forums and start asking on there.

For example, a very quick search showed this ...

Expect there to be several others.

Antique MOPAR stuff ...

Reactions: Ashful
Thanks, Paul. I knew someone here would have some good ideas!

I've also been looking for a PA state database, since I know the owner, plate number, and year of registration. So far, no luck.

Last edited:
That is a tough thing. In the past I have tried to track down a Trans Am knowing the license plate, owners name, and year range owned with no luck. Wish you the best on your search and update if you have any luck.

That is a tough thing. In the past I have tried to track down a Trans Am knowing the license plate, owners name, and year range owned with no luck. Wish you the best on your search and update if you have any luck.
I already tried the PennDOT state records department, and batted out, there. Unless I want to quit my job and make this a new career, I'm quickly getting the sense I'm on a dead-end quest.

I already tried the PennDOT state records department, and batted out, there. Unless I want to quit my job and make this a new career, I'm quickly getting the sense I'm on a dead-end quest.
You may very well be correct unless you have friends in high places that can look at records, but I do not believe that is exactly legal.