Calling my name

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lowtech

Nov 27, 2012
CT
I've been driving past this tree since Sandy, it's what's was left after the rest of it was cleared from the road. It's kind of a busy road, so I had to park a few yards away(by the way the Subaru in the picture is mine not the pickup). I guess it to be 18" - 24" and 12' + long, can anyone tree1.jpgtree2.jpgtree3.jpgtree5.jpgtree6.jpg help with an ID

Reactions: Thistle and zap
End grain & bark looks like White Oak.

my favorite ,white oak , best guess

Burnable hardwood.

Reactions: Tuneighty
+1 on white oak

nice for dead of winter if you can put it aside and let it age like a fine wine

Reactions: Dune
Or ageing like a strong stout ,actually a good analogy ,generally needs 3 good years of proper care.

Cheers

Reactions: Thistle
I guess it will have to wait join 3/4 of a cord of red oak I almost done splitting. With that said I think I'll just stack the rounds to split later and stay on the prowl for wood I can burn in the next two winters.

+1 on white oak

nice for dead of winter if you can put it aside and let it age like a fine wine

It's really amazing how true this is.
I have been working through I large vein of cherry and maple in my shed, for over a month just scattered oak. Yesterday I got tired of it and brought in a load of oak. I had forgotten how much longer the oak burns. I was hardly suffering with the cherry/maple but the less frequent loading is nice.

It's really amazing how true this is.
I have been working through I large vein of cherry and maple in my shed, for over a month just scattered oak. Yesterday I got tired of it and brought in a load of oak. I had forgotten how much longer the oak burns. I was hardly suffering with the cherry/maple but the less frequent loading is nice.

Yeah, seasoned oak beats out maple and cherry pretty good. I cannot wait for all my oak to be properly seasoned. Life will be good then.

:eek:White Oak!:eek:

White oak, for sure. It will burn great in 3 years.

I'll jump on the White oak bus. Get that Red Oak split ASAP. It won't really start drying until it is split.

Should be "Gottenwood" by now ;)
I'm with the white oak crowd. :)

Reactions: TimJ
Status
Not open for further replies.