Calls to the Fire Dept

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ell it up two feet, put a shield on it and I bet the problem goes away.
The problem did go away. Apparently there was only one stupid jackass on the street and he learned from that experience. If it had continued I wouldn't need to call a fireman to tell me how to correct the problem.

Reactions: F4jock
The point isn't what Garn requires, it's to preclude further false alarms. The OP should be willing to do this if only to insure the safety of First Responders and by extension the community.

Actually, I think the point is at least partly what Garn requires. Most insurance companies (and likely some code people too) would have some 'install per manufacturers specs' input of some sort.

Reactions: Lake Girl
S
Actually, I think the point is at least partly what Garn requires. Most insurance companies (and likely some code people too) would have some 'install per manufacturers specs' input of some sort.
And nothing stops you from going a bit beyond which is what I'm suggesting.

I would not advise elbowing the vent up unless you do it with class A chimney matching the horizontal pipe that came with your Garn. Single wall pipe will form moisture inside due to the low flue temps present during most of the burn. This will drain back into the Garn or possibly form creosote which at some point may cause an actual chimney fire. A Tee with a cleanout on the bottom is what you would use to make the transition to vertical pipe. The manual covers this.
If you do decide to go vertical you'll need to make sure it terminates above your roof line, however high that is.It will have to be supported from the wall of the building as you go up. The horixontal piece currently on your Garn will not support the weight.
Also be aware that any sparks/embers that make it through the Garn HX are going to discharge out the stack so take notice of any hazards that may create.

For the record, codes always refer to the manufacturers recommendation for venting. That is what all inspectors have to adhere to.

Reactions: maple1
Thanks to those that commented and provided suggestions & perspective to the topic. The system has been running for just 4 weeks now, and this is the only call. I'm going to keep everything as-is for now and see what develops over the coming weeks. Days are getting longer, making it easier for people to see my early morning fires...here's to hoping no more false alarm calls to 9-1-1. Thanks!

911 the only free call you can make on your cell phone. I am also a full time Firefighter and run gost calls all day from people calling 911 on their way down the road and say they think theysaw something but are to busy to go check and see if it really is something.

I will admit, the garn jr will roll some smoke at first, then "steam" for a bit. But it's been basically below 20f for weeks now. That being said, it looks a bit menacing/troubling at first. Also, my garn is installed at my truck garage. not my living quarters. Would be curious if i had my Tarm on a horizontal flue and how it would look.

911 the only free call you can make on your cell phone. I am also a full time Firefighter and run gost calls all day from people calling 911 on their way down the road and say they think theysaw something but are to busy to go check and see if it really is something.

I feel your pain. The cell phone has to be at the same time the best thing and the worst thing that has happened for reporting emergencies. I've been on our volunteer fire dpt for 35 years and the number of false alarm calls has tripled since the cell phone became widespread. (Was out from 12:45 to 5:30 this morning on a house fire. Nice at -2*)

I wish people would just take a minute to double check what they think they are seeing instead of doing a drive by report.

Reactions: taxidermist
I feel your pain. The cell phone has to be at the same time the best thing and the worst thing that has happened for reporting emergencies. I've been on our volunteer fire dpt for 35 years and the number of false alarm calls has tripled since the cell phone became widespread. (Was out from 12:45 to 5:30 this morning on a house fire. Nice at -2*)

I wish people would just take a minute to double check what they think they are seeing instead of doing a drive by report.

So true. 30 seconds to a minute of my time to verify what I'm looking at.....or if I don't, 2 hours time of at least 6 or more first responders time? Geee I wonder why we can't get vol fireman and our taxes are going up because of the increase in calls they have to respond to.

So true. 30 seconds to a minute of my time to verify what I'm looking at.....or if I don't, 2 hours time of at least 6 or more first responders time? Geee I wonder why we can't get vol fireman and our taxes are going up because of the increase in calls they have to respond to.
On the flip side, sometimes that extra minute can be the difference between life and death. One can always call back and 22 the rollout.

In my town.. The FD drives their trucks around all year... to make sure they use their fuel budget... so they'll get the same next year. not kidding. Engine 3 drives by my house... on a side street at least 2 or 3 times a week. We have a professional/volunteer mixed dept... with the main station staffed 24/7.

In my town.. The FD drives their trucks around all year... to make sure they use their fuel budget... so they'll get the same next year. not kidding. Engine 3 drives by my house... on a side street at least 2 or 3 times a week. We have a professional/volunteer mixed dept... with the main station staffed 24/7.

Not sure it is just the fuel budget ... truck gets taken out when they have other duties to perform like inspections, CO monitor trouble call, etc. Yes there may be another vehicle but if they are only man or driver/operator on shift and a call comes through, they don't have to go to the hall to get the truck and then respond ... they leave from where they are with bunker gear already loaded in the cab.

The other aspect could be daily truck check requirements ...

Not sure it is just the fuel budget ... truck gets taken out when they have other duties to perform like inspections, CO monitor trouble call, etc. Yes there may be another vehicle but if they are only man or driver/operator on shift and a call comes through, they don't have to go to the hall to get the truck and then respond ... they leave from where they are with bunker gear already loaded in the cab.

The other aspect could be daily truck check requirements ...

I know people on the FD.. they're doing exactly what I said.

If that is the answer they are giving you, it doesn't reflect well on the dept. and/or that is the simplified version they were given. Both diesel and gas fuels have concerns attached to them ... I was reminded this fall when I went to start up the Kubota to do the drive for the first snowfall and it had summer weight diesel.:( Ethanol content of gas means it is advisable to ensure constant turn-over or stabilization. If the can of gas does not get used within an approximate 3 month window at our house, we dump it in the car and refill the can. Unfortunately, not all departments and their chiefs are created equal.

Sadly it is standard practice in both the public and private sector to make sure the budget is drained by year-end to protect it for the next year. Been there, done that in both sectors. When I ended my first year in local government with a surplus I was called in to be told that "You don't understand how government works."

Reactions: F4jock
If that is the answer they are giving you, it doesn't reflect well on the dept. and/or that is the simplified version they were given. Both diesel and gas fuels have concerns attached to them ... I was reminded this fall when I went to start up the Kubota to do the drive for the first snowfall and it had summer weight diesel.:( Ethanol content of gas means it is advisable to ensure constant turn-over or stabilization. If the can of gas does not get used within an approximate 3 month window at our house, we dump it in the car and refill the can. Unfortunately, not all departments and their chiefs are created equal.

all town vehicles are filled at the same town fueling station. each vehicle has a fuel card. there is no concern of "old fuel". The FD has the highest fuel allotment in their budget... even over the highway dept. all public record... mailed to everyone's house in the town every june.

I wasn't talking about "old" fuel concerns at the bulk fueling station more the actual fuel in the tank of the fire truck ...

As to the allotment, are you taking the town admin to task for the unbalanced budget values between fuel costs of FD and HD? Start by formally asking why?

These are weird times these days. It has been made popular to rip on government employees and blame them for all kinds of misconduct and the cause of peoples problems.

Not sure if it is envy or jealousy or what? I have been a professional Firefighter for 27 years. Have put myself and crew in harms way to help people more than I can count. I don't want peoples thanks or approval, that is what I get paid to do. It would be nice if people would think twice before they go around implying or stating how worthless government employees are. Teachers, Police, Fire, city and state workers are not the cause of your woes!

gg

Reactions: Buzz Saw
These are weird times these days. It has been made popular to rip on government employees and blame them for all kinds of misconduct and the cause of peoples problems.

Not sure if it is envy or jealousy or what? I have been a professional Firefighter for 27 years. Have put myself and crew in harms way to help people more than I can count. I don't want peoples thanks or approval, that is what I get paid to do. It would be nice if people would think twice before they go around implying or stating how worthless government employees are. Teachers, Police, Fire, city and state workers are not the cause of your woes!

gg

Umm.... I never said anything as to what you are replying to.

First off..... Local government is run VERY, VERY differently in New England than pretty much anywhere west of the MA/NY and VT/NY state line.

It is a fact, that due to the way town meetings work (the only true democracy in this country) in this state.... If the FD doesn't use up or nearly use up their fuel allotment... it *will* get cut for the next Fiscal Year. The FD's fuel usage is a historically sore spot at town meeting in my town. been that way for a long time.
I am glad that they finally got rid of the money pit that was Engine 1.

EMS is a quasi gov't agency (town owned corporation separate from the town itself)... the town partially funds it, with the rest of it coming from their own generated revenues. I also "get" why the Ambulance is in the McD's drive-thru.

The PD's fuel use is more or less the same each year as the amount of area patrolled doesn't change... and we have very little crime.

the Hwy dept's fuel use is largely dependent on the winter.. and the people of the town know that almost 5 feet (in 2 weeks!)
of snow lying on 200+ miles of road requires a lot of diesel to remove..

I wasn't talking about "old" fuel concerns at the bulk fueling station more the actual fuel in the tank of the fire truck ...

As to the allotment, are you taking the town admin to task for the unbalanced budget values between fuel costs of FD and HD? Start by formally asking why?
The answer is "They use it".

To be clear... The town I live in is not hurting for $ in any way, we also have just about the lowest property taxes in the state. In fact, we are renovating/expanding the high school because we *wanted to*... $14million dollars.. with zero state aid.

as I said in my post above... their fuel usage has been a historically sore spot at Town Meeting. largely because the usage can change dramatically between a "slow year" to a "busy year".

we generally give the emergency services what they request come budget time when they are not out of line... like wanting the $$ to buy a new engine... to replace the engine we bought them 4 or 5 years ago. right now they're wanting to build a brand new station... not sure if that one's going to pass or not.

attachment.php

we generally give the emergency services what they request come budget time when they are not out of line

If you don't like what you see, get involved on the board/municipal government as there may be reasons you are unaware of. But BB is right:), enough said.

Status
Not open for further replies.