Came home to a warm hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LLigetfa

Minister of Fire
Nov 9, 2008
NW Ontario
Not a total surprise... the wife asked me to prepare the stove this morning before I left for work but not to light it. Usually in this sort of weather, I start the fire in the evening when I get home.

Thanks to a 1/4 Super Cedar all she had to do was strike a match. Now I don't recall her starting a fire before, but it doesn't get much easier than that?

This morning, the weather prognosticators were calling for -20°C this evening but they've since revised it to -11°C. Cold enough for a fire none the less.

Whoa! I thought she was the gas company's best friend. :coolsmirk:

LLigetfa said:
This morning, the weather prognosticators were calling for -20°C this evening but they've since revised it to -11°C. Cold enough for a fire none the less.
-20°C....are you kidding? and you didn't have a fire going during the day?

No where near that cold here but my wife likes coming home to a warm stove full of wood. She works outside and we are getting colder here.

My wife has always had problems starting a fire. The Super Cedars have been a big help but she still says she prefers fatwood even though she had problems with it. The Super Cedars win because we got a box full of them. Well, we have given some away so the box has several missing now.

BrotherBart said:
Whoa! I thought she was the gas company's best friend. :coolsmirk:
She still is. Last month's gas bill was $69.29 for 166.908 cubic metres, an average of 5.4 cubic metres per day. Considering we also use gas for cooking and DHW, and our smallest bill was $32.18 in the middle of Summer the heating portion now is just over $1 a day. As it gets colder I burn more, keeping the gas bill from getting any higher.

It's pretty hard to argue that math. This is just our second fire this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.