Camera recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My camera bit the dust. I mostly need it for taking good resolution closeup pics (think studio style product shots). I don't want to spend $800, but $300 isn't out of the question. Any reasonable/obvious suggestions?

Oh, gee whiz...the choices are mind-boggling. So many manufacturers selling so many models into the market it'll make your head spin. My personal experience with digital photography has been focused (heh, heh) on Canon products...I have a digital SLR and a number of lenses...always been very pleased. In fact, now I have a Canon scanner and a Canon inkjet printer, as well as my camera equipment...all of which I'm very happy with. But I'm sure other folks make great performing stuff too. Rick

Just as an example of what you're wading into, here's a link to a site that's put up reviews of Canon cameras...you can find similar info on every other mfr's products, of course.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/MFR1.HTM?view=Canon_reviews

And I most highly recommend this place, with which I've done a ton of business:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Even if you don't buy anything from them, the website is a gold mine of information.

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
Wife and I bought a Sony DSC-HX100V and I am amazed with the "out-of-the-box" picture quality. We're not photography buffs but wanted something that would take good pictures without a lot of fiddling. Camera has delivered as promised and shoots some pretty nifty HD video too.

303373_10150721029563262_644648261_9360063_1705734596_n.jpg

Not the greatest picture but figured you'd appreciate it anyway ;) My BIL holding my son and showing a little pride.

Oh, gee whiz...the choices are mind-boggling. So many manufacturers selling so many models into the market it'll make your head spin. My personal experience with digital photography has been focused (heh, heh) on Canon products...I have a digital SLR and a number of lenses...always been very pleased. In fact, now I have a Canon scanner and a Canon inkjet printer, as well as my camera equipment...all of which I'm very happy with. But I'm sure other folks make great performing stuff too. Rick

Just as an example of what you're wading into, here's a link to a site that's put up reviews of Canon cameras...you can find similar info on every other mfr's products, of course.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/MFR1.HTM?view=Canon_reviews

I know there's too many choices- that's why I'm asking for anything specific- I'm not even sure that I need anything high end for my application, though the photos do have to be good quality

The B&H Photo website I linked above includes a huge inventory of cameras from all manufacturers, and allows you to sort by a number of criteria. Try something like 16 megapixels, $300 max & see what pops out, then look closely at one or more cameras that catch your eye. You can set up a screen comparing models, as well. You night be able to narrow it down pretty quickly.

I will second B&H Photo Video. Great company to work with. I'm also a Canon guy and recently acquired one of their newer "SureShot" cameras and the photos are great. Especially for the price tag. I've also used Nikon point and shoot's in the past and was never as pleased with them as I am the Canon. I tried to be more diverse in my camera brands but alas, I returned to Canon...

I second about the Nikon, I was very disappointed with the resolution(see avitar). Had good res with Canon.

You should do research as to the close-ups and low light shooting of the particular camera......unless you don't care about flash shots.

I would also generally suggest Canon for pocket point and shoots. If portability is not really important, you could go to the next level of cameras, which would be stuff like slightly bigger Canons and Sony - like the Canon Powershots.

For a do everything - and portable - this is pretty damn nice:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/842847-REG/Canon_5900B001_PowerShot_SX_260_Digital_Camera.html

Holy smokes...every time I turn around I'm amazed at what's new on the market...that camera description includes:

"GPS Tracker and Map" :eek:

May as well just incorporate a smart phone & get it over with.

I have to say I've always loved my fujis.

I had one of their earliest models - 1.1 megapixels, and the thing took great pics! No zoom either.

I have a Nikon D90 among other cameras...but I am thinking of selling it and getting a more compact model like the Sony NEX. The Nikon is a semi-pro camera but I find the weight and the size mean I do not use it as much as I normally might.

I have to say I've always loved my fujis.

I had one of their earliest models - 1.1 megapixels, and the thing took great pics! No zoom either.

I have a Nikon D90 among other cameras...but I am thinking of selling it and getting a more compact model like the Sony NEX. The Nikon is a semi-pro camera but I find the weight and the size mean I do not use it as much as I normally might.

I have a D-40 that I am going to upgrade. Before that I had a Fuji 602z,hence my name! Loved that camera.

Gary

Pics look good AP....gonna share with us what camera you purchased? Or are ya gonna keep that to yourself?
msp_flapper.gif laughing.gif

I think I am in love with your Fuji camera.

I think I am in love with your Fuji camera.

The camera, or Chloe? She is very photogenic (and yes- she's that cute all the time)

I read reviews and talked to someone at BHphoto about my application (photos of pots indoors, controlled lighting) and he said that the Fuji would be good for that. Between ordering and getting it I read some bad reviews- some were based on old firmware which seems to have been straightened out.

I'm really happy with it so far- took macro shots of ladybugs this morning at about 1" from the lens! It's not as point and shoot, no adjustment as some might want but I need a bit of control for my purposes.

The camera, or Chloe? She is very photogenic (and yes- she's that cute all the time)

I read reviews and talked to someone at BHphoto about my application (photos of pots indoors, controlled lighting) and he said that the Fuji would be good for that. Between ordering and getting it I read some bad reviews- some were based on old firmware which seems to have been straightened out.

I'm really happy with it so far- took macro shots of ladybugs this morning at about 1" from the lens! It's not as point and shoot, no adjustment as some might want but I need a bit of control for my purposes.
The dog's cute too.
I love the resolution, I notice no "red eye" or glare on second shot, I assume both exposures were sans flash.

The first was without, the second was with the flash. There's actually a mode where it takes one with and one without in rapid succession (that wasn't what I did here). This wasn't taken at the highest res, and in fact I lowered the res before upload to make the file size small enough for Hearth.com. Resolution suffers at low light if you don't have a long exposure or use one of the nifty camera features for low light.

Status
Not open for further replies.