Camoflague Tree

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NordicSplitter

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2011
Western,NY
Gathering wood the other day at a tree service dump I came acroos a large section of what looked like Camoflague tree limbs both big and small. I assume it what part of a tree stand to better blend in. Can't really tell what kind of wood it is. So here is the question......Should I grab it? Someone went to an aweful lot of work to make this tree look like army fatigues. If it is paint....because in reality its only on the outside of the tree will it be ok to burn? Thanks as always.... AKA......NordicSplitter

Pulled up some pics of Sycamore on Yahoo......I'll be darned. How does Sycamore burn? Should I save it for the cold months of Jan & Feb or just burn it whenever???

burns about like maple...cherry...good shoulder season wood

Yep sounds like Sycamore ! But whatever it is as long as you are there go ahead and grab it! Wood is wood, just some is a little better than others!:)

Gary

Burns good. Splits terrible.

I've never burned it but I'd bet it drys fast . When we saw it in the mill , the head saw will drive the water right out of the log before the blade is any where near the end of the cut . When the saw exits the log, water is usually thrown a good 10 feet past the end of the carriage.

full of water...we have cut many many sycamores this year..soon as u cut em..they will start spilling moisture...i mean dripping out the butt end of the fresh cut tree..............splits horrible..but in some cases for what i reason i dont know i have found a few trees to be easy to split.

good to know about the problem splitting, i had one break this winter with the maryland vines adding too much weight to some of the limbs.....snapped right off at one of the forks. pretty good size tree, probably about 30 inches or therebouts at the base.

cass

Status
Not open for further replies.