Camping in Colorado

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeromehdmc

Mar 1, 2009
Kansas City
I am wondering if anyone can point me to some cool out of the way camping spots. I'm heading out to Colorado from KC in mid September. I will be in a 4x4 truck with a slide in pop-up camper. I like to keep to the forest service roads (have a Delorme atlas and GPS). I know for sure we are going to hit Weston Pass and the Leadville area. I've done some 4-wheeling with the camper on, nothing too wild though, and it worked pretty good. I'd also like any info on good forest service campsites, good to hit one every few days to shower up.

When I was out there a few years ago, climbing a bit of the 14ks, when we were in leadville (to climb LaPlata and Elbert), we car camped at Twin Lakes I think the name is, just south of downtown Leadville. Though I don't remember if they have showers or not... I suspect not.. And not out of the way either..

As far as camping goes, it is legal in BLM land but I can't help you find where BLM land is around the Leadville area, my friend and I simply camped off into the woods around Buena Vista when we were climbing around there, no showers of course but it was free.

If showers are an issue, you're probably either have to DIY or stay at a private campground as I've yet to run into a proper shower facility just off into the woods.. :)

Many of the 14k peaks in CO seem to have camping spots by the trailhead, at least that was my observation, not sure how legal they are but I've seen people camping right off the trailhead, some of the trailheads are more remote than others so it would be nice and quiet. I can't help you about accessing them with a pop-up camper but your 4x4 would more than likely be fine, barring monsoonal rains or stuff...

Jay

There's a nice little unimproved state campground at Molas pass between Silverton and Durango.

Status
Not open for further replies.