Can’t help but show off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bushels20

Feeling the Heat
May 20, 2018
OH
Got lucky and came in to what will amount to (probably 3-4 cords) of ash. Completely free except my own time and labor. This is the first cord and a half c/s/s. A beautiful thing!

Attachments

• 1544CE1A-C437-4EF4-936F-8098CA82EE8F.png
    1544CE1A-C437-4EF4-936F-8098CA82EE8F.png
    775.5 KB · Views: 378
Score! That is a beautiful sight. And ash dries quickly.

Score! That is a beautiful sight. And ash dries quickly.
Happy for the gentlemens nice score of ash,however my experience has shown ash doesn't dry as quick as most say. Hard maple dries quicker,ash needs 18 months in well ventilated sunny areas,dries rock hard and burns great.

Happy for the gentlemens nice score of ash,however my experience has shown ash doesn't dry as quick as most say. Hard maple dries quicker,ash needs 18 months in well ventilated sunny areas,dries rock hard and burns great.

No worries regardless. It’s goong to sit in my 2 years from now racks.

I’ve found that it depends on the time of year you cut the ash tree. Ash is unique in that it’s sap will draw back down to the roots in the winter and back up in the summer/time of year that the leaves are present (or so I have been told). In my experiences, ash cut in the summer always seems heavier and more moist versus a tree cut in The dead of winter. So for what’s its worth, that theory I heard seems to make some sense. The ash always seems “stringier” when it’s moisture content is high.

This load so far has been about half and half, leading me to believe that some of the tees were already dead and some were well on their way. Like i said, doesn’t much matter, it won’t be burned until winter of 2019-2020.