Can a 1 pipe steam system be converted to hot water without adding second pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4acrefarm

Hearth Supporter
Jan 11, 2009
western ma
House shopping at the moment and lots of them have steam. does anyone know if it would be possible to pressurize them and have the hotter water in the system rise. as the steam does? I realize it might be slow , but I think it could work. I currently run a two pipe system at 140* in this house and it works well.

You can have a gravity hot water system, but you would need two pipes....

It could possibly work with a single pipe, but it would need to be HUGE, and Im sure that the steam piping wont be big enough for you to get any heat out of it when used with water. Then there is the additional issue of control, which could be quite difficult.

I would say add another pipe, or stick with the steam if the system is in good shape otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.