Can a 6" pipe work for a defiance Masters choice Stouff?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolmar7900

Dec 22, 2013
Whitewater Wisconsin
I would like to upgrade my stove today defiance master choice. I have a 6 inch stove and apparently the defiance master choice is rated for an 8 inch stovepipe can I use the six instead?

Not unless the mfg. permits it with a conditional exception in the documentation.

Reactions: HotCoals
I am buying the stove from a person who has a 6 inch adapter for the back of the stove. My friend who just bought the exact same stove gave the stove opening oval dimensions to chimney liner depot.com and they gave him an 8 inch chimney pipe. That's why I'm confused

Does it look like this one?

defiancemcinsert.png

Not unless the mfg. permits it with a conditional exception in the documentation.
ok, I have to ask.....over the course of time, questions have been asked about necking down from an 8 to a 6 in pipe and almost every time the recommendation has been no, don't do it. I understand it can cause draft problems and the manufacturer probably doesn't recommend it or it might (but I don't see how) void the warranty but is it a safety factor? Or, is it against most local codes? I've known some that have done it and it seems work fine. I installed a 6" SS chimney when i first started out years ago and have often thought about a blaze king or a big jotul but that requires a 8" connection so I never went bigger and listened to the conventional wisdom of the "collective" but I was looking for more concrete documentation on the subject. since I never had a really big stove, I've never looked at an instruction manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.