Can a outdoor wood boiler and a heat pump share ductwork?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fourwheelinj1

Jan 5, 2017
NC
My wife and I are in the process of having a new house built and we will it will have a heat pump system for heating and cooling. I plan to add a large detached shop/garage in the future and I want to heat it with a outdoor wood boiler. Since I would already have a wood boiler to heat the shop it seems only logical to use it to heat my domestic water and the house too. Is it possible to use a heat exchanger from the wood boiler and just install it in my heat pump duct work? It seems logical but I seem to recall reading some where that this would kill the heat pump. Is that true? Other than radiant floor heat is there a way to distribute heat from a wood boiler efficiently without having a separate duct system if using the same duct work is a bad idea?

What type of heat pump system are you utilizing, geothermal? Up here in the north east the vast majority of heat pump systems are mini split units which operate off of there owners unit, no duct work. There are some geothermal systems around and they use a traditional duct system. Non problem with using a water to air hx in the duct work. If there is concern about it doing harm to the heat pump heat exchanger in the duct then just put the boiler water to air hx after the heat pump.

I have a heat pump and have a water to air heat exchanger in the same duct work that my heat pump/ac uses. When the thermostat is switched over to boiler only the blower fan on my unit kicks on along with the circulator pump on my boiler. If your using a boiler in this fashion your heat pump which is basically your ac running in reverse doesn't ever come on, making it pretty impossible to damage it.

Short answer is, you can use the same duct without damaging anything.