Can an insert sit on the hearth?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mlang90

Oct 27, 2010
OH
We want to buy a Mendota FV44i insert and my wife wants the front of it to be about 16 inches farther into our living room than our existing fireplace doors are so we can change the look of the nearby walls. This puts most of the insert outside of the existing firebox and sitting on the hearth. The insert is 23 3/4” high and our opening is 32” high. Can I put the insert here? I will frame around it with metal studs and concrete backer board, then cover that with stone. Then I’ll create a new hearth using more non-combustible material. I think 8 1/4” clearance leaves enough room for the liners to go into the old firebox and then up if that is ok to do.

Don't get an insert if you're not going to insert it.
Get a fireplace & then you can do what you want.
You just hafta make sure that the venting system (co-axial vent) for an insert can be used.
I know Regency Fire Places allow this vent configuration.
Not sure about other manufacturers...

Thanks Bob. I appreciate the advice. I'll check Regency's website. The problem I've had with the other fireplaces I looked at was the height. We have just enough room for the insert's required vertical clearance. The fireplaces I've seen so far were much higher than that and we didn't have the room without some major remodeling. In addition, I have to use the chimney to vent because we have a condo and can't put new holes outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.