1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Can anyone help me ID this "Quebec Heater"?

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by Magnatomicflux, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Magnatomicflux

Magnatomicflux New Member

Loc:
    Windsor, Ontario
    .....and maybe tell me anything else I need to know?

Hello!

I just signed up to ask you fine folk about this stove, as I can't seem to find anything about it. I was used up until last year when the guys dad simply didn't feel like feeding it anymore. The grate is in there.

On the side, in the rust, it says "Page-Hersey" on it, and aside from the center of the "grill" on top saying "Stoves and Ranges", and where the controls are it says " No. 30-19"
    I can't find anything else.

Apparently Page-Hersey had a a tube, iron & lead company up in Welland Ontario, but I don't see anything about stoves.

From what you can see, does it look safe? If I can, and my insurance says okay, I'd like to put it in my shop.
    If not, I'll fix'er up and have it as a peice in the house.

great site, btw!

Thanks for your help!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    It looks like a small parlor stove. Is there a shaker grate at the bottom, just above the lower door? I'm wondering if it was meant to burn coal or wood.
  3. Magnatomicflux

Loc:
    Windsor, Ontario

Hmm. There is a grate just above the lower door, but I don't know if it's called a shaker grate. The pattern of the grate might not be the same, but it pretty much looks like this:

[​IMG]

There's no handle or anything to jiggle it around, that I've noticed anyway. It appears to be fixed in place.

Thanks for the reply!
  4. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    OK, then it looks like it's setup for wood. The stove looks in to be made from a pipe casing and in good condition. Inspect it closely all around for any defects. If none it may work for the shop. It will need to be installed with 36" clearance in all directions unless a proper wall shield is first installed.
  5. Magnatomicflux

Loc:
    Windsor, Ontario

It is in very good shape. It appears to be double walled as well.

Wow....36" lol I can get this stuff from work called "fiberfrax". Its a ceramic blanket they use here at the foundy. They lay it right over top of open topped molten aluminum wells, and they only sit about a 1/2 inch above the metal, which is sitting at about 1550/1600 F. I can hold my hand on the blanket indefinitly. Its just .....really warm, at best.

I wonder if I throw that up, and maybe some sheet metal as a shield, how much the clearence will be cut down?
  6. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
  7. Magnatomicflux

Loc:
    Windsor, Ontario
    Excellent. Thanks for the link, begreen! I'm pretty sure we basically follow NFPA guidlines up here in Canada, so this will be helpful.