Can anyone help me ID this woodstove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mepellet

Minister of Fire
Aug 10, 2011
Central ME
Recently moved into a house that had this woodstove installed. Can anyone help me ID the manufacturer and model of this woodstove? Thanks!
Sorry for the picture quality. Was taken with a cell phone.

Attachments

• IMG_20110813_200255.jpg
    IMG_20110813_200255.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 4,539
At first glance it looks like JAF - that is, Just Another Franklin style stove. Dozens of vendors made very similar stoves, most made from 1979 to 1980. Many were made overseas (Taiwan), but some are American. There may be some identifying names cast into it somewhere - examples include Atlanta Stove Works, Portland Stoves, etc.

You will have to look closely to determine this.

In any case, it is a relatively inefficient stove - not really good for much other than very occasional use. It is effectively more of a fireplace than a stove.

We actually just put in our order yesterday for a harman pellet stove which we will have installed in our lowest level living room. We will only use the woodstove occasionally this winter. In a few years we will replace the woodstove. Thanks for the help.

No one mentioned the one GOOD thing about the Franklins. On the left side, you'll find some 'eyes' into which go a cooking grate that can swing in over the coals. I used to drive my neighbors nuts smelling me cooking steaks or chops over the wood fire in the middle of winter! Not efficient like they said but if you can find slab wood from a sawmill, it is ideal for that. I used to get a big banded pile of slab oak for $15 and would just cut right down through the bundle in the right lengths. Get two FULL truckloads out of one bundle.

tjnamtiw said:
No one mentioned the one GOOD thing about the Franklins. On the left side, you'll find some 'eyes' into which go a cooking grate that can swing in over the coals. I used to drive my neighbors nuts smelling me cooking steaks or chops over the wood fire in the middle of winter! Not efficient like they said but if you can find slab wood from a sawmill, it is ideal for that. I used to get a big banded pile of slab oak for $15 and would just cut right down through the bundle in the right lengths. Get two FULL truckloads out of one bundle.

Could have bought a lot of steaks for the new $180, in 1970's dollars, pair of boots that I managed to catch that rolling out burning log on the toes of from my Franklin. Brand new house and the carpet job for the whole family room, because the embers exploded off the dang log, cost me another six hundred.

Yeah, I love Franklin stoves.

BrotherBart said:
tjnamtiw said:

Could have bought a lot of steaks for the new $180, in 1970's dollars, pair of boots that I managed to catch that rolling out burning log on the toes of from my Franklin. Brand new house and the carpet job for the whole family room, because the embers exploded off the dang log, cost me another six hundred.

Yeah, I love Franklin stoves.

Ah, the joys of burning wood!!!!! Maybe that's why I sold it and went to a Franco Belge coal burner. :)

Some of my fondest memories were cooking on and in a Franklin stove. Juat using it for what is was: A cast iron open fireplace, it was very fun. Nice heat and the ability to have an open fire when I wanted one.

I also adore my crusty old 12' row boat with a 1961 Johnson on it.

Sometimes the simple things can provide tons of joy, as long as you recognize them for what they are.

I have a Franklin Olympic made by Washington Stove works, the plate is still on the back of the stove. We don't use for primary heat, I just fire it up on cold nights. One thing that is bothersome is the doors do not seal to the unit very well when closed, and when not in use, it can emit odor. Suggestions? When starting a fire, I also have to open window to prevent down draft.

Attachments

• IMG_20131228_105123.jpg
    IMG_20131228_105123.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 994
  • IMG_20131228_105200.jpg
    IMG_20131228_105200.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 488
Status
Not open for further replies.